Am I doing something wrong with this formula map?

Hey guys. Trying to build a reminders system. When I run this formula it checks my interactions table. I want it to notify me that I need to follow up with said person if the date is today and I haven’t been reminded already.

The formula runs but I dont get the notification… what am I doing wrong here?

FormulaMap(Interactions.Filter(Reminder=Today() AND [Reminded?]=“true”), Notify([Harry Roper],CurrentValue.[Who is this for?]))

Well, shouldn’t the Reminder = "true" should be the opposite, i.e.

Interactions.Filter(
  Reminder = Today()
  AND [Reminded?] != true
)

Also not sure if this matters here or not but generally don’t put true/false in quotes. Perhaps now Coda formula language matches true to "true", but strictly speaking a quoted value is a Text value, not a logical one, regardless of what it reads like.

Also a good habit to acquire is to write formulas in chaining manner, i.e.:

Interactions.Filter(
  Reminder = Today()
  AND [Reminded?] != true
).FormulaMap(
  Notify(...)
)

P.S. Why != true and not = false? Because the checkbox can have the third state: blank. It can get blank if one presses delete or backspace on a cell — it’s gonna look a bit more translucent than an unchecked checkbox. Blank checkbox will not properly test for = false but will properly test for != true. Just a precaution.

6 Likes

Strong feedback @Paul_Danyliuk , with very valuable tips :star::star::star:

1 Like

I am so dumb! Thanks man I was staring at this formula forever trying to figure it out.

I will try to start writing formulas chained now thanks for the feedback and advice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.