Column name to select column in another table

Hello. I have a table with columns a, b, c, d. I’d like, for each row, to take the column with the min value (or the first instance of the min value if two or more columns share the min) and use that particular column name to return a particular action.

The columns are survey questions and the rows are respondents. For the current row (respondent), I’d like to see which question has the lowest response (simple numeric scale 1-5), and then suggest a specific action to be taken from a list of actions for only that question (the one with the lowest response).

The survey is an AI readiness assessment, so if respondent 1’s answer to question a is the lowest across all the questions respondent answered, I’d like to make a specific recommendation based on which question it is, from a table of recommendations by question.

Suggestions? Thank you in advance!

I’m about to play with this and see if I can make something happen, so I want to ask a few questions to make sure I am making this to specs.

1. How will the user be recieving this suggestion? Do you want it to be an email or maybe have it appear on screen?
  2. This is what I think your asking, please correct me if I am wrong. A user is taking a survey where they have a question and a drop down choice or radio button choice of 1 - 5. After the user answers the questions they push a submit button.The question that has the lowest number is chosen (or the first appearing question with the lowest number). That question has 5 possible responses that corrospond the number chosen that it will choose from and send to user.

One More question for you! How large/ what format is the response? Is it like a sentence or a whole article? Or is it a link to an outside article?

Hi Christine. Very close. It’s a survey which has 20 questions across 4 categories. So, for each category, there are five questions. I want to pick just one question from each category - the worst rating - and provide a pre-prepared recommendation to improve. So, in the end, each respondent will get 4 recommendations - for each of the 4 lowest rating across the 4 categories.

The survey responses come into Coda via the JotForm pack, with respondents in rows and questions in columns.

I am creating a Coda page with a selector to choose the respondent and that page shows how the respondent compares with averages and top performers across the 4 categories/20 questions. Each respondent will access their own page via a unique link. The page they get will be a replica of the one with the respondent selector.

I’ve worked out everything but this one bit about providing recommendations.

Lastly, each recommendation is one sentence, so each respondent could receive a total of 5 sentences (bullets actually) based on the worst rating across each of the five categories.

If you want I can just make a copy of this doc and give you access to it…

Thank you!

Yeah A copy of the doc would be great!

I just messaged you with the link. Thanks!

Christine, I just realized that this could be as simple as using switchif for each group of 5 columns with list(column a, column b, etc). Let me try that and I’ll get back to you. I don’t want to waste your time!

I have just found another solution! The one I came up with is really great because it sets your system up to be a bit more modular and in the future if you need to change the questions or recommendations it will be easy to do so and update everywhere after one edit.
I am going to make a quick explanation video in a bit and add you into the copy I made of your copy (I was worried about messing up all your hard work)

I think I’ve got it working but I wish it were easier - and based on one table of recommendations that I can more programmatically select from.

I see your above response now. I missed it… I’m very excited! Can’t thank you enough.

Here is the video Link:

I am going to give you access to this version as well, but I am pretty new to Coda overall so I’ve got to figure it out first

I love it, Christine. Makes sense. I’ll go through it in detail tonight and adapt to my system. But I think it will work perfectly. You’re right though - the biggest challenge I’ve had in general is because the survey questions are in columns. Thank you thank you thank you.

I’m glad I could help! Let me know how it goes tonight

[quote=“Jeb_Dasteel, post:1, topic:49681, full:true”]
Hello. I have a table with columns a, b, c, d. I’d like, for each row, to take the column with the min value (or the first instance of the min value if two or more columns share the min) and use that particular column name to return a particular action.

The columns are survey questions and the rows are respondents. For the current row (respondent), I’d like to see which question has the lowest response (simple numeric scale 1-5), and then suggest a specific action to be taken from a list of actions for only that question (the one with the lowest response).

The survey is an AI readiness assessment, so if respondent 1’s answer to question a is the lowest across all the questions respondent answered, I’d like to make a specific recommendation based on which question it is, from a table of recommendations by question.

Suggestions? Thank you in advance!
[/quote]jijkllklklk

hghgtytytytyt