Community dreamed Coda : add your vision

After @shishir reply on the Public Roadmap topic, I think that there should be a topic for everyone to share their own vision of the perfect Coda.
There are already a bunch of feature request, and visions in the welcome topic. The best is then to aggregate those visions in this topic, per users.
Best would be a list of features with a voting system. I tried to make a voting system in Coda, but I’m struggling for the moment (no time).

I’ll begin with a list of features for my perfect Coda :

Features :

• Bookmarks in canvas! With a bookmark floating pannel.
  • Draw : I would love to be able to draw shapes that would contain text and create arrows to connect items.
  • Mind maps : there could be another view in the shape of mind maps. It could come from tables, the rows represented by squares (like cards) and manually connected by arrows by the user.
  • Blocks : I would love to be able to layout horizontally. Blocks could help. With the ability to drag and drop to arrange layout. Also, blocks could be referenced in documents in the same way of rows etc… It could be an incredible and powerful feature. We could think of blocks types in the same way as Airtable.
  • Canvas Layout options : Horizontal canvas, free layout, static layout etc…
  • A calendar view
  • Variables, to add more power to to saved formulas
  • A saved formulas and variables menu
  • Filter list in every view. Ability to save and recall filters.
  • Save Conditional Formatting
  • Be able to copy/paste a table with the same conditional values and cells formatting for cross doc.
  • Ability to save table templates.
  • A better document hub : folders for docs etc…
  • Option to have more hierarchy in the section view

Announced prototypes that would be perfect :

• Cross documents
  • Api
  • Buttons to trigger things
  • Forms to enter data
  • Mobile App (very important)
  • Markdown, awesome

Polishing :

• Writing experience, more layout options, more format
  • Card view should be at least as good as standards, with more options directly accessible from the view, a better experience etc…See the Card view topic
  • Gantt should be zoomable
  • More options for table groups : colors, formatting, etc…
  • Select List in tables : automatically add new values to list when typing a new value in a cell
  • Time in table : need a dialog box
  • More charts and charts options
  • etc… :slight_smile:

I’m a bit of a maniac for the Coda team. These are feedback I gave them privately a few months ago. I would like to know if my wishes are shared by the community :slight_smile:

Next is up to the community to add their wishes!
Thanks Coda!!!

13 Likes

Great list @tomavatars, and appreciate all the details you’ve shared with us the last couple months. Excited for you and other to see a few of those soon! One question, are the bullets in each area roughly stacked in terms of priority for you or is the ordering random?

1 Like

Hi @lane! Been a while!
Concerning items, there is no priority order except for the polishing (and card view should be the first option).

Concerning announced features, Mobile is my top priority, then the order is fine.

Concerning feature request, Bookmarks and canvas layout are P1 as well as all the save features (filter saving and filter list being the P1 of those), then variables, draw and blocks (including calendar).

Thanks!

1 Like

Been a while indeed :slight_smile: . On the priority details, makes total sense, thanks for the details @tomavatars!

1 Like

@lane I forgot one very important feature!!!
A desktop app with ability to work offline!

7 Likes

Thanks, yep noted Tom :slight_smile: !

1 Like

Huge +1 for calendar view for us - this would solve a big problem for us, and also allow us to utilize coda for our internal time tracking and billing process, which, I’d really like to do for so many other reasons.

3 Likes

I found this thread and I would like to bump it up :slight_smile:

@tomavatars shared an awesome wish list and I agree 100% these feature requests.

I would emphasise, with my priorities:

• Horizontal layout in canvas (badly needed)
  • Web & Mobile clipper: You can put virtually everything in Coda and organize your business (and/or your life) entirely. How do you capture things around??? You need a tool for capturing a web site, an image, a file etc. Examples? Evernote clipper both in chrome, desktop native with an helper in mac, Notion, TickTick etc as well as in mobile (share everything with Coda the sharing options on mobile ) and ideally all the content can end up both in a table or in a section/canvans
  • File support with pre-rendering (not only Images please). The business world is full of PDF, PPTX, DOCX. Ideally possibility to format a column as a file (with some preview capabilities for certain files)
  • Format a Column as a Canvas: Probably I should recall a competitor again, Notion. When creating a table it’s important to have a column that allows to put everything inside (basically a Canvas/Section in a cell)
  • Boot loading time performances: When opening the app via mobile the first time, it takes ages to load the first section :frowning:
  • more charts and representations options: Radar Chart, Mind Map, Resizable and responsive charts, format a column as a chart
  • Fine Grained permissions: there are a lot of threads about that. Plus I would like to share a doc in a minimal way. If I have user that should only interact with the doc (press buttons, write things), I don’t need a “+” button
  • Multi Doc tables: A lot of threads here as well. Basically I would like to reference table that are in other Coda Docs
  • Save your filter: I create a sophisticated filter for a specific table then I would like to create a completely different filter. Unfortunately i have to cancel the first one and replace it. It’s annoying why I may use different filters in different situations
  • 2 levels of hierarchy is not enough sometimes. Would be awesome to have 4/5 or more levels (folders in folders)
  • Variables map: a way to see all the declared variables among docs
  • Dark Mode: Self explanatory
  • Desktop Electron App: Here it’s not the desktop wrapper per se that will make the difference, but a deeper integration with the OS. A Coda Mac Helper that lives in the status bar (like Evernote, TickTick) can be useful for capturing stuff around and send them to Coda
2 Likes

Without a performance improvement I can’t really use Coda for much of anything, and that’s a massive shame. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi Nick!

Thanks for the feedback. I’m an engineer at Coda and agree we have some performance issues, but the good news is that we are working on them. The hard part is always figuring out where to focus our efforts, so if you’re willing to share more about where you’ve been hitting the most painful performance problems, that would be super helpful for us.

I look forward to hearing back, and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I’ll make a copy of my app, anonymise the data and share it for you to play with.

I really believe that once the performance problem is solved the sky’s the limit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome - thanks, Nick. Feel free to share with support@coda.io and let me know when you have. Thanks for helping us out in investigating the problem.

Hi Tim, I’ve sanitised the app and sent a link to the support address. The subject of the email is:

Coda Performance Issue (from Nick_Milner)

Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks, Nick. Really helpful. A lot of the issues I’m running into in that doc are ones we are actively fixing. I’ll try to remember to keep you posted as things improve and ask for further feedback.

One big pain point right now is that a large number of groups on the left will always cause major lag. Removing those groups helps performance, at the cost of the appearance.

1 Like

Cool @Francesco_Pistillo ! Great additions!
100% agree with you too.
Other features could be :

• Adding an easier way to create hierarchy in tables: I would love grouping to be revamped to be more powerful and aesthetically looking better.
  • Swimlane feature in card view

Etc…

1 Like

Better Grouping is an absolutely necessary part.

1 Like

This is key. Having a Notion-style scratchpad in each row is very useful. Taking it a step further would be to be able to open each row as a page, also like Notion. It would act like a section in this way, allowing the user to add tables, bulleted lists, and even long-form writeups in markdown.

The Notion dark mode is an absolute treat as well. We need this.

Hi Tim, it looks like there’s a performance issue with the AND() function.

I created a new document that has sales proposals linked to a table of countries. I want a calculated column in the Countries table that shows how much we won there, by summing up rows in the opportunities table.

If I write the column formula like this all is well:

Proposals.Filter(Country=thisRow&&Status="Win").Amount.Sum()

…but if I write the formula like this (which I think should be functionally equivalent) the performance is killed:

Proposals.Filter(and(Country=thisRow,Status="Win")).Amount.Sum()

When the formula is written with “&&” I can enter an amount in the opportunities table and the value appears instantly. As soon as I change the formula to use AND() it takes 4 seconds for values to appear after I’ve hit enter.

I’m going to go and remove the AND()'s from my other document and see if that helps.

Thought you might like to know. :slight_smile:

YES! I removed all the AND()'s by replacing them with “&&” and the time it takes to enter a value into a cell has gone down from 41 seconds to about 1.5 seconds which is acceptable. :slight_smile:

This is huge.

2 Likes

Is it possible to integrate Coda with Asana or Trello ? If so where we can find the steps or document to integrate with those tools

1 Like