Conditional Formatting Issue with colors

When adding different rules with colors for columns there is an issue.
The result shows a different behaviour between coloring only selected columns vs. coloring the whole row.

See rules in screenshots.

2018-05-15%2012_57_46-Scans

Can only upload one screenshot :pensive:

2018-05-15%2012_58_29-Scans

2018-05-15%2012_58_39-Scans

Can you try changing the order of the conditional formatting rules?

or could you give me access to that doc?

The order of the conditions does not change the effect.
How can I change the doc with you?

Thanks in advance.

top right, share with removed my email after problem was solved

I shared the doc with you. Thanks for helping me out.

that should have fixed it? Your rules were all accepted as “true”, thus it would color renamed and moved both yellow and green. I am not sure which rule took priority.

I’m aware that I can change the conditions. But I wondered why the chosing of different columns to be coloured in the same rule leads to two different effects?

Also the processing of the rules should follow a fixed order, e.g. bottom to top. Otherwise this will lead to inconsistencies like this one.

I’m aware that I can change the conditions. But I wondered why the chosing of different columns to be coloured in the same rule leads to two different effects?

as I said, all three rules were considered to be true. it has nothing to do with the fact that you chose different columns.

here all cells should be both green and yellow. In your previous example, moved and renamed are supposed to be both green and yellow as well.

Also the processing of the rules should follow a fixed order, e.g. bottom to top. Otherwise this will lead to inconsistencies like this one.

I agree, but I believe that there are more urgent issues then the order of conditional formatting. The fact that you are not able to change the order via drag-and-drop gives you an indication that they have not put any time into the prioritization and ordering yet.

Yes, but as you say. All rules are true: Both columns “moved” and “renamed” should have the same colours, regardless what columns I chose in the format rules, wouldn’t you agree?

Also drag and drop usually works, you can try with conditions like “somevalue>3.0” vs. “somevalue>5.0”. When the value is “7.0” both are true and by shifting the rules in priority you can see the effect accordingly.

That is why I consider this more a bug and brought it to attention.

I just realized that there is a drag -and-drop for conditional formatting, so screw my earlier point :slight_smile:
so I agree, there has been put some thought into it.

But I could not reproduce a single example where “moved” and “renamed” had the same formula but different results?

You might be right with the other rules you talked about (conditions like “somevalue>3.0” vs. “somevalue>5.0”), I have not checked that.

When you see my existing example from the data section. Both columns are correctly filled with green. When you select “All columns” the row will be green, but not the two fields “moved” and “renamed”.
This happens although no other conditions were changed. Imho the fields should either be always become orange (because result is true as well) or green, but not this mix of “orange over green”.

ok, now I see.

agreed, its bugged; however the ordering of the different rules appear to work when not all columns are selected.

As long as at least one column is not included for for all filters, everything works fine (as far as I can tell?). The ordering however does not work when one conditional format is applied to all columns simultaneously and another is applied only to some columns.

Yes, this perfectly describes the issue here. Maybe I was too unclear before.

Hi there, I’m a software developer at Coda.

The confusion here is likely because we don’t have any clear explanations of the priority of conditional formats in our tables, so hopefully I can help. There are really just two rules:

1. Per-column formatting takes precedence over whole-row formatting.
  2. Otherwise, items higher up in the list of conditional formats take precedence over items lower in the list.

Thus, if you have two per-column formats competing, the one that is higher on the list will win, but if you have per-column vs. whole-row formatting, the per-column will win, even if it’s lower on the list.

I can see how this can be confusing, so I’ll check in with our product team to see if it would make sense to have the priorities solely based on order instead of having two levels of priorities.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense!
Thanks for explaining.

Maybe this should somehow be mentioned in the settings.

The per-column formatting taking precedence over the ordering of the formats in the list was also confusing to me. Seems like just the order in the list should suffice?