Cross-doc error "Cannot convert from non-numeric string to number"

Hi Codans, I’m a new and very enthusiastic (Pro plan) user of the platform and I wanted to ask some help from the community. Despite looking through many threads and cross-doc videos, I can’t seem to find anyone that has landed on this problem though I believe that this is a fairly common use case for this platform!

Context
I’m using a number internal databases to manage several sets of data. Most columns are interlinked via relations to other tables to standardize input from my team and I believe it is encouraged as a best practice. For example, in the Status Column in one of the main databases is linked to an ‘Index’ database that references all various stages a ‘deal flow’ might go through.

These databases are then synced via Cross-Doc to a ‘Client Portal’, which aims to have views with information filtered only for that particular client. The client should then be able to interact with the DBs as I’ve set them up including the ability to change statuses (multi-selects) and write into a canvas space, etc.

Problems/Errors
In the process of syncing the DBs in the Client Portal, I noticed that all relational tables need to be synced for it to read properly. No problem, I add another index page with referenced DBs to their doc and hide it from their view to limit their access. However, despite having all relational DBs related to the main DB synced, I am unable to change any of the multi-select options and am prompted with the error “Cannot convert from non-numeric string to number” and to contact the Pack Maker.

If it helps, I have two-way sync turned on and I don’t mind having to do this manually at my current plan level.

Questions

1. Is there a glaring setting I’ve missed that has resulted in this error?
  2. Is there a better way to create a Client Portal that ensures security of information between clients despite using a large data set with filtered views?
  3. Is relational tables within tables actually bad practice and causing this syncing error?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Hi @Michelle_Chan ! Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you’re running into these issues with Cross-doc. This sounds like it may be related to a known issue our team has been investigating. However, each case can be a bit different. In order to have our team take a closer look at this, would you mind sharing your doc with us?

You can do that by going to Share in the top right-hand corner, clicking the button in the top right (to the left of the “X”), and toggling on Share with Coda Support (the gif below shows how to do this).

Afterward, please send us a link to that doc in your response so we can take a look for you! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Shaina, thank you for your response on the initial question!

It seems that particular issue has solved itself but I seem to be running into a couple more that come and go that more or less are showing the “cannot convert…” error message, most recently being “cannot convert from reference to object”.

While I would love to share the doc with Coda Support, it contains some confidential information that prevents me from posting it into this community space. Is there a way we can discuss through a email thread perhaps?

Thanks again for your help!

Glad to hear that this issue has been resolved for the time being, @Michelle_Chan !

Should you want to submit this as a bug to our Support team internally, you can do this by clicking the ? in the bottom right corner of your Coda screen and submitting a bug report with this information.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.