Design Similarities

I found original Coda publish design style.

Simple but lack of design taste.

Hi @Steve_Yang,

That’s Google’s Material Design, https://material.io/design/, and you’re right, there are some similarities. Google offered an open design strategy to offer some consistency in various aspects that help with visual indicators for users that something is clickable or actionable. Familiarity can help people use systems more easily, so you’ll inevitably find similar design items across many sites. Think of buttons, quite a few buttons look really similar, and that’s the point, so you can recognize a button and know to click it without having to think about it.

I think you’ll also notice some differences to our design from Google’s as well. Google goes for a 3D look in material design where Coda is more of a flat design. You can see this in the bottom border of the menu.

It’s hard to look at any two webpages at all and not notice some similarities between them.

1 Like

The company have designer position and designer culture is different . That’s the point .

Hi @Steve_Yang,
I appreciate you passion about this - and other - topics.

I’m sure you’re sharing your thoughts in this Community driven by genuine commitment, in the hope to bring - and take - added value.
We all are in fact moved by the same spirit, here.

Coda is a product that is relatively new and it is evolving: surely there are lots of features that are missing (you can actively contribute by voting here: https://coda.io/pack-requests).
Sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, but the path so far has been in the right direction for most of the users.

Even only from a UI design approach, comparing Coda with Google it seems to me quite unrealistic and not extremely helpful.

Taste (luckily) is a subjective matter, though there are best practices and guidelines that can help to meet the needs of the biggest majority.

Suggesting, proposing, showing alternatives is a great source of ideas for everyone.
Criticising and making bold statements usually don’t enforce the Community spirit: I’m sure you agree and I warmly invite you (as everyone else) to keep and pursue the… “building” approach.

Thanks for your attention and looking forward to read your next post!
Cheers

3 Likes