Does Coda fit here?

Hey there,

I’m Frank from Germany, 44yrs old, Jack of all trades in a tech sense. I’m part of a few teams with different needs and basically always looking for the best tool to work in these teams.

I am mainly using right now:

• Airtable
  • Notion
  • Slack/Discord
  • Of course E-Mail too still
  • Zapier

With Notion we were already able to reduce some team work from multiple tools into one but it doesn’t fit the need of every team. Especially when it gets more data heavy Notions “Database” doesn’t for example come close to what Airtable can do.

I wonder how Coda seas itself here. Is it worth looking closer to code for me for the following use case for example:

• 5.000+ customers
  • 20.000 orders
  • some external integration working on this data (like putthing in data from forms through zapier., do external calculations).

Our workflow is mostly far away from classical documents which is why I didn’t look at code closer for a while. I’m unsure how it could probably be a good collaboration tool similar to Notion and if it would allow me to basically do the DB work and the more team/wiki like work from both Airtable and Notion in one tool.

Also one big question for me is future pricing. Of course for smaller teams this is a key thing. Appreciate the tools being free during beta but when is post beta starting and what will it cost?

Apart from that appreciate the Small Business Spotlight - great idea. Will use it to hopefully get closer to coda - finally.

Cheers,
Frank

3 Likes

Hi Frank! You bring up several great questions - I’ll do my best to recap and answer all of them :slight_smile:

1. I use a lot of tools - where does Coda fit in with all the other productivity tools out there?

Ultimately, your team (and all teams, really) is using all of these tools to get work done in the most efficient way possible. We observed that, despite all of the productivity tools out there, most work in teams actually gets done in documents - spreadsheets and word processors. Why is that? For starters, documents are easy to create and begin building from scratch. You also don’t need to be a developer to understand how they work.

However- the core functionality of these documents haven’t changed in 40 years. So we set out to build a new type of document that was as powerful as an app.

As part of that mission to turn docs into apps, we infused some key features into Coda docs, some of which you touched on earlier:

• Relational database, which gives you the ability to store data in documents in a scalable way
  • Connections with external data, what we call “packs
  • Automations to perform repetitive tasks
  • Buttons, rich layouts, and other app-like essentials

All of this is to give you the flexibility and shareability of a doc, with the power and depth of an app. In your case, it is a great combination of database and wiki in one tool.

2. Is Coda right for my use case?

Yes! As I’m sure you know, there is a lot involved with running a business, including managing orders, responding to customer inquiries, hiring great employees, etc. (the list goes on and on). Coda gives you the flexibility to build whatever tools you need to run each of those processes.

You mentioned having 5,000 customers, 20,000 orders, and some external integrations. Your business sounds a lot like the folks at Hudson Henry Granola, the recruiting team at Box, and lots of other teams that use Coda to run their business.

My advice: start small and then build from there. Try building a task tracker for your team as part of the week 1 challenge.

3. What is Coda’s pricing plan?

Great question! We haven’t implemented a pricing structure yet - but you can read a little bit more about what that will look like in the future here.

Looking forward to seeing what you build in Coda! :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you Justin for getting us up to speed with Coda and how it fits in for business use case, both big or small.

Our primary concern through and out of beta remains pricing. We are based in India and dollar based cost for us is never affordable in the long term.

0 Likes