Easy filtering of a large table?

I’m a middle school assistant principal. I have a Student table with around 450 students listed in it. When I am in meetings with teachers, I often need to find a student record in the table rapidly. Often, the teachers (who work much more closely with their students than I do) bring up the student by first name (“Joey’s really been struggling this week…”) and I have to race to find Joey’s record in the table so that I can take notes, reference data, etc.

Scrolling through the table takes too much time. I have tried using an interactive filter on the name field, but it lists all 450 names in the menu and doesn’t make it easy to find “Joey”. Is there a faster way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

2 Likes

Hi David,

Here’s a doc with several different search tricks for tables. A few of them are user specific as well, which means that if I’m searching a table, your view doesn’t change. So we each get our own search and see what we need, but don’t step on each other’s toes.

Let us know if you need any help implementing any of those. And check for hidden columns in those solutions that do some of the work.

@BenLee, you are my hero! I applied the Regex search, and after following it carefully, it does EXACTLY what I was hoping for! Thank you!

-David

2 Likes