If False do nothing

so i am using a scale object and I am trying to do something like if checkbox is true, scale = 0, otherwise, do not do anything. How do I do this??

Hey Jack, can you give some more details on that? And are you in a table or on the canvas?

I am in a table. I just want the scale to act normal, unless a checkbox is true.

I‘m not sure if it will work that way, because I think you can only define a default value, not a relative function.

So a scale won’t be „editable“ by a checkbox. You can try it with a button, but you would probably also need to store the number in a second column, if you want to go back and forth. That’s a dirty but probably working workaround for your need and not impossible. I can give you a hand with that if you want.

But maybe a Codan can tell, if I‘m wrong about the „you can‘t change a scale with a checkbox in a table“-part.

I made an example with a button here:

Would something like that work for you?

1 Like

Yeah I think that would, I will try that now!

1 Like

Here are some screenshots, if you get stuck somewhere:

Button setup

Current scale value

Conditional formatting

Scale State

has a defaulft value of 1

Hi Daniel and everyone,

I am trying to achieve something slightly different. The setup is as follows:
Table1
Column.Item Column.Number Column.Scale

Table2
Column.item Column.Scale

In Table2 all records for scale values are recorded. In Table1, I would like to make so that Column.Scale shows the average of Table2.Column.Scale when Table1.Column.Number .isblank. And after Column.Number is filled in with some value (say number 10), I would like Table1.Column.Scale to reset to 0 (=empty).

After that, I would also like to be able to click on Table1.Column.Scale and select a new value (say 4 stars).

Almost everything is achievable thanks to your guidance (@Daniel_Stieber), however your setup does not allow to enter a new value in Scale column. Do you think this could be achieved?

One solution that I can think of is using automation which would probably work, but I prefer formulas, if possible.

Hey @Stefan_Stoyanov,

do you have started this in a doc that you can share so we can tinker around? I’m not sure if I completely get what you need, but I guess we can make it happen :slight_smile:

Hey @Stefan_Stoyanov, got you now.

The problem is, you can’t apply a formular to a scale AND be able for user input.

So “After that, I would also like to be able to click on Table1.Column.Scale and select a new value (say 4 stars).” won’t work without a workaround with buttons or automation.

I’ve implemented a solution with automation in your doc (Table Test & Test 2), but since automations need a few minutes to trigger, it is no good solution at all.

You could add a button in Table 1 that switches between “Avg Table 2 Data” and “Table 1 input”. This would be a similar setup as shown for Jack Scheffel, with the difference that “disabling” means not setting to 0 but setting to the average from Table 2. But this woud not help with the sub-task, that the scale resets when a number is put in the number column.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to show/hide columns based on variables (like we can alredy with row filtering). That way, you could have 2 scales. When average should apply you show this one, when user input should apply you show this one. A 3rd column could store the value of the current scale for re-use in other formulas.

Sorry man, I’m afraid I can’t find a satisfying solution here :slight_smile:

Hi @Daniel_Stieber,

Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly! I knew it was a tricky one :slight_smile:

Hey @Jack_Scheffel - just had this problem myself! I was trying to create a checkbox that excludes rows when ticked, but otherwise doesn’t filter out anything.

In the end, the only way I found to do it was hacky: I made my “if false” condition something which is always true for all my rows so they all get included when a checkbox isn’t ticked. In this case that the “status” column IsNotBlank because that is automatically generated upon creation of row. That would give the effect you want.

I think it would be good if Coda had a less hacky way of saying “do nothing” because I would guess this could be quite a common requirement, esp. for non-programmers.

As a bit of feedback to Coda right now, I think it’s a pity that the language doesn’t have more shortcuts that are a intuitive for non-programmers (excel formula level people like me). It’s one of the things that still puts this product in an awkward middle ground between solutions right now. For now, the speed of customisation, data entry and reliability of Airtable makes me prefer it for a lot of applications: even if Coda is more powerful and clearly has the better long term potential.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from If False do nothing:

Hey everyone,
I just saw this topic and I maybe figured it out.
Intuitively I gave ifFalse the value “” and it worked out that the formulas return nothing.
Maybe this could help a little! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes