Launched: Coda 2.0, a simpler, cleaner, and faster doc for teams

Fist congratulations to all Codans! Version 2.0 is really a step forward :rocket:

I like paying for using a technology. It’s fair! But I feel like this pricing model is just version 1.0 :slight_smile:

Free tier is just pointless like many already noted (maybe this is exactly the point).

Pro plan seems like the minimum to consider. But that’s a plan for personal and household stuff. Without Coda pack and some more privacy Coda is just not for business.

We pay 3600 EUR per year for a CMS, client portal, TMS, Invoicing, automated workflows, integrations, 5 TB of space, security, support, unlimited users… well pretty much all a business needs for up to 20 people. Except fast flexibility. For why Coda was so exciting to study and follow in the past couple of years.

In our case we work with hundreds of people who are just accepting tasks and delivering, which I suppose is the case for most businesses. So we are talking about thousands of $ with current pricing model.

Considering how much time is required to develop all the above-mentioned functionality and how much money would cost to just sustain what we have build ourselves… it just have to be a lot, a lot cheaper if Coda wants to get into my business plan.

Again, I love Coda’s concept and you all codans are great professionals. But to keep using it and promote (like I have done to over 200 businesses), I would love to see a verstion 2.0 of the pricing model.

11 Likes

First of all, congrats on the 2.0! A huge milestone!

Secondly, my two cents on the pricing. I am too a bit disheartened, although I knew it was coming.

Here’s what I’d consider fair:

• Not introduce the 50 objects, 1000 rows limit. Or at least do that for new users but not existing ones. The golden rule of not p-ssing everyone off is: if something’s already free, don’t make it paid. Awarding credits isn’t really the same thing.
  • Keep the GMail pack in the free tier, but disallow white-labeled emails (i.e., force “Sent from Coda” in free-tier emails).
  • Makers and editors are basically the same thing. If I understand it correctly, the only difference is that a maker can create docs, but anyone interacting with the doc is still an editor (i.e. a paid user). Instead, I’d split the roles like this: doc builders (create, edit docs), doc users (interact with controls and buttons that builders have set up for them, maybe can input data into cells, but certainly cannot edit table structure), and viewers (read-only). Charge more than now for builders, less than now for users. Now that would indeed be a different pricing model.

This is not about the value now. The value is unquestionable. It’s about not becoming a bait-and-switch product. Remember how everyone used to love Medium and how everyone’s fleeing it now.

20 Likes

Hi @Pch, thanks for your questions on Locking & Permissions!

The locking settings apply only to users who you share docs to with “Can edit” access. There’s no change to the behaviors when you share a doc as “Can view or play” – those users still can’t make any changes. Formulas are hidden when the doc is shown as read-only, and visible in ‘play’ mode where users can make changes that aren’t saved back to the doc.

2 Likes

What about “guest editors”?

Are they included in any pricing scheme?

PLease answer that because, if it is not the case, I’m going to expel all of them of my public shared docs

Guest editors count as editors when it comes to pricing. So yeah, you want to downgrade any of those to viewers to minimize impact on pricing.

I think my Coda docs just hit the price wall and died :sob:

I have a to-do list, plus some other docs that I use because it’s really handy to be able to mix text and tables. There is no team and there are no Editors. But, I get fancy with customizing things, which is why I love Coda.

Basically I would be paying $120 /year for a to-do list and some other bonus items. It’s just not worth it…

$10 a month might not seem like a lot, but $120 is half the cost of my computer.

4 Likes

Love this. When you’re getting into hundreds of customers with a simple action I would advocate a free role for one specific action and paid for more types of actions. But glad to see this is in consideration.

Agree 100% with your thoughts on the pricing model.

2 Likes

2d this on small teams. $360 /person (maker) /year is a lot for a one-person “team.”

3 Likes

That sounds like a bug. We aren’t enforcing any limits until December 1. Mind sharing more on support@coda.io so we can follow up directly?

Then you Codans need to be much more clear and explicit about this regard, or friction is going to increase greatly. Thanks for the clarification… but I had to ask about it

First of all, congrats for the new Coda! I love some of the new features and there are great additions.

But…
I was anxious about the pricing announcement, and it has come.

I don’t understand the model. Having the pro plan and having limits about the editors is terrible.

I have to give you a use case to be more specific:

I made a doc for our local video game cluster so that each member can add a simple mission like RT a Tweet or bake a Crowdfunding campaign, so that we help each others simply.
We used coda because it’s great and we gamified the thing to entertain the people.

BUT!

We are about 20/30 users. I’m the only maker in the doc and sometimes my associate add or tweak things, and everybody else are just adding some rows with some missions to do, and they push buttons.
So they are all in a way editors.

I would pay a fortune with your system, for editors that just sometimes add some text in a row and push buttons.

In one word, you just killed my doc…
Many of my docs actually. My workflow…

I have many other things to say but I’ll take more time later, I don’t have the time actually to focus on this.

And as an early adopter, I’m not satisfied by what you are gifting me.

Sorry for this Coda team :cry:

2 Likes

No bug, still works for now. You’re fast at replying :slight_smile:

One thing also is that I might use it with clients.
Since there is not locking with the pro plan (maybe you should consider adding it too :slight_smile:) using the crossdoc be useful when sharing some datas with the client.
For example you can have a bug tracker document, where your client can report datas, and see what they need to see, while the big bug tracking thing can be in a separate document, just for you, and maybe a couple of freelance you are working with…

2 Likes

I’m curious what to-do list would be exceeding 1,000 rows :stuck_out_tongue:

@nathan Thank you very for the clarifications :grin: !

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response, Jeremy. My template has more than 50 elements (it contains various tools/calculators, even though many get used only on occasion), so that alone is a paid feature. To complete the picture, it does not use packs at the moment and copies won’t reach more than 1000 rows very quickly (although I anticipate many will in a few months time).

And yes, I agree about that particular weakness of the model. My clients too would only be required to push a few buttons and add certain rows every week; as a matter of fact I generally would prefer it if that’s the only thing they could do (i.e. not mess up the architecture/layout).

Congats with Coda 2.0

Next to all comments shared so far, I would like to take the opportunity to address the following:

• I don’t see a reference model offered, having in mind that the users that have experience with Coda are able to on board new users / clients
  • I don’t know in other parts of the world, also private users have to pay the Value Added Tax (VAT) on top of the bill. In my region it means +20%. Companies can get this money back.
  • For the docs I created to support colleagues in this community, I will be charged to use them, because of their size? Does this mean that I will need to create for every case a separate doc and get lost? `Hopeful you will consider to create a folder “free tier” for further support this community! It’s the way around also valid, all the members that have been giving me a helping hand, might…:frowning_face:

Please consider a free tier with sponsored content, as I understand as no other, you will need to make $$$$ to keep the :candle: burning and satisfy the VC’s :money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

For the pricing structure and the benefits offered for each tier, I will need some more time to come with “Non emotional” , but grounded feedback!

8 Likes

Thanks for this feedback, Stefan. I’d like to hear more about your team needs so we can hopefully find a solution that works. I just sent an email through Intercom to follow up directly.

Easy example: My daily action list routinely includes 9 habits, 2 workouts, every meeting on my calendar, and every to-do on my work task list, not to mention critical due dates and milestones throughout the month. It’s the One List to Rule Them All. Oh, and I integrated it with a time tracker. Gets to 1000 rows pretty quickly…

2 Likes