Locking: add ability to lock deleting rows (while being able to edit existing cells)

Hi @BenLee ,

I really hope the Coda team can reconsider the current behaviour as it’s making doc locking basically useless for our purposes.

1. I have users who’s role is to just edit some rows added by someone else and they should not under any circumstance be allowed to delete the row.

example: Our finance person has to go into a “marketing agreements” table which is maintained by the marketing team. He role is only to mark the agreements as paid and edit the payment date. she has on occasion accidentally deleted rows and only realised it weeks later (by having the entire row selected and hitting backspace because she mistakenly thought the focus was elsewhere).

1. Sometimes it’s good to make it difficult for even the row creator to delete a row: for example a member of the marketing team who created an agreement row in the “marketing agreements” table, should be prevented from deleting the row if that agreement is marked as paid.

Frankly, the “delete row” behaviour in doc locking should simply be mirror of the existing “add row” behaviour as mentioned above by @David_Chung : I should have the option to prevent users from deleting any row except via a button action, in the same way that I can currently prevent them from adding any row except via button action. This should not depend on who created the row.

The current interface, where “Change table values” actually means: “Change table values and delete any rows” is asymmetrical, confusing, and not helpful in most use cases.

6 Likes