Now testing: Quick nav makes it easy to find the doc you need, from the doc you’re in

It’s frustrating to leave the doc you are working in to find another doc you need. And the pain is felt more and more as your team and doc count grows. In the past maybe you’ve used your browser’s bookmarks, relied on search history to find your most frequented docs, or maybe you never closed those docs at all.

Today we’re introducing a better way to find what you need. We’re testing a new navigation tool: quick nav. Quick nav helps you find any doc in your workspace without needing to access the doc list. Now you can search across your workspace, thumb through your folders, and quickly toggle back-and-forth between docs without opening dozes of tabs—all from the doc you’re in.

QuickNav_Community Post.gif

Anyone can test out quick nav. To enable this feature, open any doc, open the left side bar, click the kebab in upper right, click “Enable quick nav.” You’ll see quick nav immediately appear to the left of the left side bar for your usage.

We want to hear your feedback! Try it out and let us know what you think.

QuickNav_Setup_Community Post.gif

So go ahead, close those tabs. Your laptop’s battery will thank you!

36 Likes

@bianca - Broadly thank you, been hoping for this for a while now!!

The only point I would make is for larger docs swapping between them like you suggest is not practical as the loading time for our main docs is about 30-60 sec (I just timed it to check), so I would use this to be able to see our doc list without leaving the doc and then open the other doc I need in a new tab.

3 Likes

Yay - this is great, thank you!

Hope Lawrence
Founder

Out of curiosity, how many tables and rows do the docs have that take 60 seconds to load?

1 Like

Yay! I’ve been wanting this for years!

@Micah_Lucero - 249 tables and 8700 rows…one day when cross-doc (or the associated packs) just maybe allows for two-way sync of tables there might be a brighter future ahead!

7 Likes

I wish you and the team could feel the dopamine hit I felt when trying this out this morning ! Excellent work !

2 Likes

Just a small thing for anyone who does this. It may break your dashboard layouts due to less space in the viewport:

2 Likes

Hello @bianca ,

While testing I ran into a small bug: with the quick nav turned on, the quick nav pane ends up on your page when you print it, regardless of using the print menu or CTRL P:

Greetings, Joost

1 Like

Glad we could deliver on improving doc navigation!

@Micah_Lucero beat me to it but I realize lengthy load times aren’t conducive to doing your best work. We’re continuously investing in improved performance to make sure your experience is seamless, but I will say 30-60 load times is a bit out of the ordinary.

I’m sure the Community Champions have some tips on improving doc performance locally, but if you’d like additional help, reach out to support@coda.io. Our team can make further recommendations to shrink that load time.

1 Like

Would love the ability to add folders in quick nav ! :slight_smile:

Also is there a keyboard shortcut I can use to open it?

3 Likes

This is great!

A few requests:

1. Would be great to add specific pages (instead of just docs). Essentially, shortest route to get to the precise table insead of go to doc then find it.
  2. I get that the idea is to reduce number of tabs…would still like the links to honor the CTRL+T shortcut to open it in a new tab.

Thanks!
-A

3 Likes

This is really neat! Can you make it display documents or lists of documents that have been uploaded?

1 Like

Yup! That was me! Wow, thanks so much for this addition to make Coda even better, every time I’m impressed! :pray:

The quick nav currently loads recently opened docs, shortcutted docs, and docs organized by folders. You can also search for any docs in the search bar.

But only docs per se, not pdfs uploaded at part of a Row in a doc ???

signature_2813375465

Douglass N. Loud, Esq.

President

Integrated Information Systems, Inc.

305 East 40th Street, Suite 12E

New York, NY 10016

203-952-7108 cell

212-599-1791

dougl7573@gmail.com

Right, only Coda docs.

No douglas. This new quick nav is more about navigating docs and folders than navigating assets.

1 Like

Any hope for an expansion to accessing uploaded pdfs, or even external documents in folders on the computer?

If you have any questions, please let me know…

signature_3001065102

Douglass N. Loud, Esq.

President

Integrated Information Systems, Inc.

305 East 40th Street, Suite 12E

New York, NY 10016

203-952-7108 cell

212-599-1791

dougl7573@gmail.com

Update: Keyboard shortcuts for doc navigation

Earlier this month we introduced quick nav to make it easier to find the docs you need. Today, I’m excited to introduce keyboard shortcuts to make navigating within your workspace and your docs simpler.

Now you can pin and unpin quick nav depending on your spacing needs by typing Command + Opt + Shift + \ and even toggle quick nav on and off with Command + Shift + \.

If you ever need help remembering a shortcut, you can find the full list under the Insert Panel > Learn Coda > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Thank you for all of your feedback on quick nav so far! We hope this update lets you find the doc (or page) you need even faster.

@Harry_Roper

7 Likes