Playground Doc - A Collection of Tips, Tricks, and Examples

While cruising through the forum, I found myself wanting to try the tricks that are posted and to work through examples in order to see the formulas in action. I decided to create a Playground Doc where I can reference some of my favorite posts.

Check it out and let me know if you like the idea!

:page_facing_up: Playground Doc

If you’d like to edit formulas and test and build further, please copy the doc.

It’s also important to me to always give credit, so if you ever see any solutions posted and you know they are on a Community Post already, don’t hesitate to message me and call me out on it.

Thanks for checking it out!

22 Likes

Love this @benblee! Super helpful way to learn the concepts. We have a Getting Started doc as well that showcases the basic building blocks, but this is a great way to understand how they work together.

1 Like

Would also set this to “View Only” access and ask folks to copy it so you can prevent any major edits per your ask above :).

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out!

I changed permissions to “View Only” now.

@benblee, Great job.:trophy:
I started sometime ago to create a similar doc. Just to practice the input from the community and own developments… At least for me, I need to have hands on to learn/remember the formulas.

@shishir has posted a great way to split (multiple) names, works better than mine. :rocket:
I really appreciate these forms of inspiration, showing the potential of Coda :bulb:

Kind regards,
Jean Pierre

Thank you @Jean_Pierre_Traets!

I added a couple more examples: Shishir’s Split Names and Per User Search.

I added a Time Zones example that’s customizable.

1 Like

Hey… This doc is realy helpfull… Thanks

I’m playing a little bit araound with the " Lookup and Select List Column Schema". I use this a lot. What I’m trying is, to automate the dependency. So, if I choos “Fuite” in the category, the sub category, should sho automatic the first entry from this catagory (Apples).

dropdowns

Is there a way to do this?

Here you go:

Ok… Thanks.

I try to be more specific

When I change the valuee in the category, lets say I choos “number”, then I want, that the sub category also changes, to the first Item. Actually the select is not changing automatic, so that its possible to have a combinationen like:
Category -> Number
Sub -> Apples

Is there a way, to force a action like, when changing the value in category, then refresh the sub category and select the first item.

Greez

Hi @Kristijan_Moser,

That makes sense, but we don’t have a way to do that right now. I’m not sure how it would be implemented since clicking to change the category, even if you don’t end up changing it, would lead to data being reset every time. I’m not sure of a workaround at the moment.

Hi

My use case is for filtering the views.

The first fife numbers are the “Objekt”-Number. The letter behind are the Number for the “Projekt” and “Vertrag”. So there different ways how it should look:

The Filter works fine… so when I click on the dropdown, it shows me a filtered list, witch is good.

When I change the selection in “Objekt”, the rest (Projekt and Vertrag) just stay filled with the old value

The problem ist, that I allways have to change every tree droptdowns, everytime. If I don’t change it, it could happen that some filter show wrong combinationen of Objekt-Projekt-Vertrag.

Any idea how to do this, or input for thinking different?

Dear @Kristijan_Moser,

Maybe this post is a source of inspiration as it uses “or” in the filter:

Hi @Jean_Pierre_Traets

it is a workaround, with flaws in beauty. My current attempt is towards automation.

In the meantime I was able to set up the automation so that it works. With the following restrictions:

• It takes between 10 and 30 seconds for the change to be made
  • Rule 1 “Objekt -> Projekt.First()” is ok (duration +/- 10 sek.
  • Rule 2 "Projekt -> Vertrag.First() don’t work

Question:

• Is the duration normal?
  • do the triger (Row Change) don’t work with autmatic changed rows?

Dear @Kristijan_Moser,

Yes, you are right, it take some time for the automation to execute
You might want to check out these references,

1 Like

Dear @testtestbot,

We are looking forward to learn from your know how to better design such a supportive doc.

For some this doc is basic, for some this doc is extremely advanced

:building_construction: Please be so kind to respect each others work and note that all community members do this free of charge in their own time, with the intention to support each other and to enjoy :building_construction:

2 Likes

The split names solution Shishir has posted is no longer viewable. Can someone please show it again. Thank you.

Hello @Kirsten_Liegmann ,

I am not sure if we can retrieve this, but what are you trying to accomplish? There may be more docs that can offer you some help.

Greetings,
Joost