Welcome to Week 1!

Our first week in the SMB Spotlight program focuses on building an effective task tracker for you and your team.

:floppy_disk: Download the template here.

I’ve put together some suggestions for customizing inside the template, but remember you know your business better than anyone else. Feel free to add, delete, or adjust this template however you like.

:question:If you have questions, or create a workflow you’re particularly proud of, post it here in our group.

:gift: When you’re happy with your template, post a screenshot of it here. At the end of the week, we’ll do a drawing for our week 1 prize - you and your business being featured in an email!

:checkered_flag: Ready…set…go!

PS Make sure to watch this category to get updates!
36%20AM

18 Likes

Does Coda fit here?
---> Weekly Submissions!
pinned #2
0 Likes

Thank you for creating and sharing the Coda! Attached are our current goals

4 Likes

How are you adding those links to specific tables in the [Jump to…] column?

ANSWER: The “Insert hyperlink” (Ctrl+K) icon on the toolbar displays a list of Sections and Tables that you can link to.

Good to know.

0 Likes

Hey, thanks for this info and beginning!

My question relates to whether or not I’m someone who will benefit from Coda. I’m currently the only person in my ‘company’, which is more like a personal brand (I think?).

Anyway, I’m Nate Maingard, have been playing music professionally since 2011, and over the last few years have been moving more towards online creation, so I share videos on youtube, livestream on Periscope and, more recently, share on my Getting Naked With Nate podcast.

Is Coda useful for my type of creator, especially if it’s just me for now? I mean, I DREAM of having a small team to help me keep this ship a-sailing…but that has yet to materialise.

Anyways, would love your thoughts and advice.

Thanks a bunch
Warmly
Nate

0 Likes

Here is our current backlog :smile:

6 Likes

I love the conditional formatting you’ve got going on here @Victor_Garcia! One tip if you don’t want to have the whole row as a color is to just select certain columns:

1 Like

It’s one of my favorite tips! Also check out this article for more fun things you can do with URLs:

2 Likes

Hey Nate,

First off, so fun to meet a podcaster! My recommendation here is that it’s never to early to start getting organized around business processes. There’s a few benefits:

1. When you have your super awesome team, you’ve got a great starting point for them
  2. As an artist, we can always use more time and getting organized saves brain cycles for your more creative work

Also, I recommend checking out these templates got more “life” focused uses too - https://coda.io/templates/personal/games-hobbies-entertainment

Have a great one!

1 Like

Love the icons @tomavatars!

If anyone is curious how Tom did this, check out the column formats and select “Scale”:

I personally like the coffee cup options for icons :slight_smile: :coffee: :coffee::coffee:

0 Likes

This is fun!

I have mine set-up a little differently. I also add projects, dates to prep-for and calendars to mine. It is incredibly useful.

Can I update the example one to show these?

Also, is it possible to have private tasks or personal tasks that no on else can see? Does anyone know how to do this?

Best,
Rosie

0 Likes

I’m so glad you’re having fun getting creative @Rosie_Haft !

Is it possible to have private tasks or personal tasks that no one else can see?

• Not yet! If someone has edit access to the doc, they’ll be able to edit all parts. Same with read only. A bit of a workaround is to create a view and then filter it by =User(). It will then dyanamically display tasks for whoever is logged in. They would still see the table with all tasks in it, but it’s a way to help folks focus:

34%20AM

Can I update the example one to show these?

• The template is currently read only, but feel free to share a screenshot in this category.
0 Likes

Concerning this screenshot, I have also views of this backlog for each users as kanban boards with only Todos and so on.
What I really like on my template (I’ll improve it in January after the release of our game) are the sprint me and iterate button.
The sprint me simply add task as to do and shows in the kanban. The iterate is more complex, it automatically add a V+1 version of a task. Perfect for artistic purposes and video games!

1 Like

I’m having some trouble getting a kanban board to work on the tasks view.

When I’m using the cards display and I move a task between statuses, everything works fine. But if the status column is empty, the whole status column disappears - which isn’t ideal!

Here is an example:

and here is what happends when I have one of the status columns empty (look at the bottom table).

0 Likes

Hi @Greg_Farries! Thanks for calling this out. Luckily this is easy to solve by pinning the groups. Here’s a gif that walks through how:

1 Like

Hey @maria
The pinned columns doesn’t always work, especially when there are filters. Please refer to this topic : Card view tweaks
Cards really need more juice!

0 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for the interesting experience!

0 Likes

@maria I’m not seeing the arrange or manage groups option when I right click.

See here:

0 Likes

OK, @maria I figured it out!

In order to get this to work, you can’t start by creating a cards table, then attempting to pin the columns. You have to first create a standard table, using the insert view (from the original Task Tracker) - which basically just replicates the original table used in the Task Summary section.

Step two: you then (if you’re using this as a personal kanban - to highlight those tasks assigned to you or a specific individuals i.e. your colleagues, etc), filter the table to only show tasks assigned to yourself (or your colleague, if it’s not your personal board).

Step three: while viewing the table view, hide any columns you don’t want to appear (I hide the goal column, because it’s not really relevant on the Kanban board).

Step four: group the table by “Status” column

Step five: right click over any of the “Status” columns i.e. Backlog, not started, in development, etc and select Arrange and Manage Groups; and make sure to PIN all the status you want to show (in some circumstances you might not want the backlog to appear in the kanban board – just depends on how you like to arrange your kanban board).

Boom! Now all the columns appear, regardless of whether there is a status in that particular column.

I hope this helps others who encounter this issue!

Here is screencap of the working version:

4 Likes

So glad this got sorted out @Greg_Farries ! I’ll also be sharing your experience with our Product team so they can use this as they work on improvements!

0 Likes