Printing coda docs?

Only just beginning with Coda and love the potential…

However, not everybody in corporations will be living on the coda-cutting-edge… they’ll want old school reports they can print. (especially the bosses that hand out end-of-year bonuses!)

I tried printing a document with charts, and they came out very pixelated (like 50 dpi, maybe?). Conditional formatting does not seem to work in print? Little drop-down arrows from selection boxes are visible in the printed version?

Am I doing something wrong, or should I consider Coda docs not printable?

24 Likes

Hey @Jan_Bouten, printing has been a very rough experience for me as well with Coda docs. Sometimes i printscreen the section of the report i want and paste it into a word doc. I do hope Coda plans better printing support. As you are correct the intent is not to print everything all the time, but larger slower moving orgs still work/rely on printed reports.

4 Likes

I agree 100%. I often need to see just a few items in front of me for focus, and printing is an absolute nightmare. I have no way to customize what does/does not get printed (via chrome) and instead have to just print the desired page(s) and hope for the best in terms of formatting. This is something that Google Sheets has implemented really well.

1 Like

+1 this conversation

+1, really usefull option

I tried printing a Coda Doc this morning, and it printed the question mark in the bottom corner.

Hopefully, this gets better soon.

1 Like

+1 for this as well. I work in real estate development where reports often need to be memorialized into a document or pdf for chain of evidence in case you ever need them for legal reasons. That probably goes for a lot of industries. Top notch exporting, format control, and the live print preview would help reduce the friction of having to copy data to another format for printing, etc. This is something I have found lacking in Smartsheet which is a great tool with bad printing capabilities - you can’t see how your print will look until after you download it. It feels like more of an art than a science

3 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback. As one of the engineers on the Coda team, we have printing and PDF export on our roadmap and appreciate the additional context throughout the thread. Currently we don’t have a timeline for releasing better printer support. Your feedback is being heard by our product team and we prioritizing printing among our other active projects.

10 Likes

Thank you! If you need additional testers to look at and provide feedback of an early version with heavy printing needs please include me, thanks!

2 Likes

I’m a +1 for this as well. I need to periodically export PDFs of financial records so I can have them stored and documented. Snapshot at point-in-time of a document’s state is important!

+1 on this as well. This would be a very useful feature for most people Printing/PDF export. More detailed formatting options while we are at it (background, fonts, etc)

Hi all, coda now supports printing, but doesn’t render the charts. Is this in the pipeline?

This must be the most disappointing shortcoming of coda. While the current functionality is great for collaboration and creation, unfortunately without good methods for printing, downloading, or exporting, the content is isolated and makes it a pretty limited tool in real life. Unless this is greatly improved I doubt there will be significant adoption of coda.

Specifically printing, it is abysmal - there are no settings to select what to print, and the resulting document looks horrible. I was able to work around this by editing the print stylesheet, but it is a lot of work and most users don’t know how to do that.

And while this is off-topic, I would love to see an option to export as PDF, DOCX, and XLSX (for the tables).

9 Likes

+1 for this option as well

1 Like

Guys, printing is a huge headache using Coda. I had to stop using Coda because I work in a company that uses Sharepoint and still has a printing culture. I can’t export files that look as well as on the screen and I can’t print them as well…
Any light at the end of the tunel? (Please don’t tell me that it is the train!)

Thanks

4 Likes

This is our biggest pain with Coda as well. I first reached out to support in December 2019 about this and every month since, but they have confirmed that no work is being done for supporting printing Coda docs or saving PDFs. I like Coda, but people we work with need to be able to share the PDF with their investors and keep immutable copies on file, so they really need the PDF / printing ability.

I’d prefer not to switch off of Coda because it’s nice for the ones that don’t need PDFs, but they’re asking me to switch off of it if Coda doesn’t have plans to allow everyone to easily see the info – which based on support’s replies appears to be the case.

4 Likes

I wanted to bump this thread. Printing is still really difficult in Coda. Would love to hear an update on features in the works.

2 Likes

Same requirement for me as well. Need to print or export as PDF in a lot of cases.

Would be nice to know if this feature is even on the roadmap

3 Likes

This is known as a very wanted feature, but it has not made it’s way to the roadmap just yet. It’s in our notes and discussed a good bit though.

4 Likes

+1 for printing please

3 Likes