Add "On Change" action on all columns and controls

This probably has been requested in this or that form but I cannot find those threads now.

Please add a capability to define an On change action on each control or table column.

The action would fire right away in a user’s browser when they change the value. It should only execute on changes made by current connection and not on changes coming from other users / other tabs by the same user.

We have automations that can watch over changes, but they don’t run instantly and are generally harder to set up. Adding the proposed capability not only would solve this but also reduce the load on the server-side workers and generally offer better UX. It would be possible to build scenarios where e.g. changing the first drop-down in the series would reset all the latter drop-downs for re-selection.

4 Likes

yes! just ran into this. I want to be able to highlight a row thats been changed so the user knows they need to click a button to push the changes to an API. I dont want them clicking after every change, I just want them to know they have several changes that havent been applied yet and they can then cilck a button to initiate a bulk api request.

I agree. Having to click a button after adding or changing a value in a control is very inefficient. Pressing ENTER or TAB after filling in data is much easier.

1 Like

Bumping this up - the functionality exists in automations, so hopefully it would be a small step to add this to table rows. As far as I can see, activating a row button based on changes in specified columns (specified in this button) would give so many possibilities to improve work flow.

2 Likes

Bumping this, Paul’s vision is spot-on!

I’d like to add that this would go a very long way in helping me simplify and speed up slow docs, by allowing me to remove a bunch of intermediary calculated columns and filters that are used to ‘approximate’ the kind of input validation which could be done much more easily and efficiently with a couple of On change actions.

+1 ! On change event management would unlock a new set of features and possibilities and improve the way we can build app- like document with coda !!!

4 Likes

Totally agree, it would be really useful to edit row values in a “detailed” view with the appropriate controls.