Beta access to redesigned doc header & toolbar

I think it’s pretty useful to learn the shortcuts and the markdown syntax .

⌘ + Z is undo basically everywhere.
Redo is ⌘ + SHIFT + Z.
To put things in a code block is
```
your code here
```

or `your code here`

To make something a quote is
> your quote

Personally, I think it’s a beautiful update

Totally agree with you Connor, but I also know a lot of my user base prefers to have that “click” or visual of where they are at. I also think that’s the beauty of Coda - that there’s multiple ways to accomplish the same action or task… as we are all a mix of visual, audio, and kinesthetic learners. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I think you’re right about that. Especially for users that aren’t heavy Coda users. But, I suppose that’s why it’s hidden under Advanced Settings for now.

Personally, I’d like everything to be hidden when I’m working on a doc. But for new users I think you’re right that keeping things visible is very important.

1 Like

I tried it for a few days and really like it, when it’s not getting in the way of my text… I’d love to be able to drag the tool bar to wherever I want, to get it out of the way.

But the reason I had to turn it off, was that I was not seeing my cursor anymore, when I positioned it back in the middle of a word. So I could no longer see and know for sure where I was. Was/is this just me, or are others experiencing this too? Let me know when this is fixed, and I’ll happily turn this Lab function back on!

I’m not 100% sure I like it but I don’t mind the change.

Here’s a visual bug though: when I scroll a page, text gets cut off where a toolbar would’ve been:

I believe this is intentional since if you keep the transparency, the buttons from the toolbar and the other stuff behind will overlap each other and get messy. They only forgot to add a soft drop shadow to make it clear that the toolbar is there.

Fantastic update, I love any resdesign of their layouts. I tell you, if they make the entire layout of Coda.io “tighter” i.e less white space and less space around things, making things like Notion, nice and compact, I’ll stay with Coda forever.

My only irritation is the layout of Coda.io and waste of space but hey, they’ve made it better since a couple of years ago. Not quite “Notion” compact though.

Oh and their mobile app is horrendous, everything is HUGE, oddly laid out and literally unbearable to use. I refuse to even bother with it. I’d chuck some money to Coda to sponsor building a better mobile app if it sped things up.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback here and in the form everyone, this is really helpful, keep it coming!

1 Like

@Dylan_Newcomb— hm, the cursor disappearing is not an issue we’ve heard with the toolbar. Does that happen consistently only when the lab is turned on? If so, please let us know and what browser/OS you’re seeing it on!

@Camille_Nussbaum— Are you still seeing the issue with the code block not visible? We weren’t able to reproduce it.

It’s visible now! I noticed that it shows my default. :smiley: Thank you!

1 Like

Redo (CMD + Shift + Z) doesn’t work for me on a Dvorak keyboard layout. I don’t know how I’ve never noticed, but it’s a huge problem now that there’s no redo button. I wonder if this affects anyone else on international keyboard layouts.