Checkbox Reading as Null

So I’m not 100% when this started happening. I think I had the value as a formula at some point but then changed it to to just be a regular check box.

But anyway, I have this checkbox that just isn’t being read by correctly. Sometimes it’s treated as false, and sometimes it’s treated as nothing (null maybe?)

The ones that have a lighter background are being read as false. But the ones with the darker background are not being read at all. So if I filter the table for unchecked or false values, they do not come up. It’s causing a lot of issues and I’m not sure how to fix it.

Yes! This is not a bug - it is by design.

Checkboxes are a Tri-state column

1. True
  2. False
  3. Null

And null does NOT equal false so you need to be careful about these values.

By default, Coda autofills (sets values for new rows) all checkboxes with a false value. But you can clear that state and return to a null state by using the backspace button on your keyboard when the box is in a false state

2 Likes

This has indeed been the case as long as I can remember. But what the purpose of a Null value for a checkbox is, is beyond me. I think it would be better of the Null value doesn’t exist, or better, if that would be an optional state, not a state that happens ‘by accident’.

1 Like

Ah, I’ve never noticed that before, it’s always defaulted to false.