Coda and Privacy

Love the Coda product and have been making use of it in various parts of my life. However, I have some concerns about the privacy of the data that I store. I’ve read through the privacy policy and there’s mention that data could potentially be shared with, or sold to, companies like Google and LinkedIn. Could someone from Coda clarify exactly what the situation is with regard to data privacy? Are the contents of my documents shared with or sold to other companies? If I start making a wedding planner or something, is Google suddenly going to start targeting me with wedding planner adverts? I’m a Coda subscriber and really want to make more extensive use of the product but the lack of transparency over this is concerning and I don’t want to use a product that is going to give all my private information to other companies, no matter how good the product is.

5 Likes

Can you link to the policy section?

2 Likes

Coda | Trust :slight_smile:

I have some concern regarding those subject too!
I mean i’m sure it’s wrote in the legal term to be always covered no matter what but sometimes i get the idea that the data are mine and they are under my responsability, others that every letter i press on coda become immediately propriety of coda, if i could have a “for dummy” explanation about the situation it would be great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Andrew_Simpson ,

Thanks for asking about this. We specifically call this out in section 2 of our privacy policy:

…we do not use User Content to serve you ads, and we will never share User Content with any third parties for marketing or advertising purposes, unless you have explicitly submitted it to us for that purpose

Our business model is not built on making money by sharing your doc content with other companies - we treat the protection of your data as critically important.

11 Likes

Thanks Chris, that’s reassuring. Could you comment on the access policy for Coda staff when it comes to user data? And could you comment on what user/document metadata, if any, is shared with other companies?

Thanks Chris, that’s reassuring. Could you comment on the access policy for Coda staff when it comes to user data? And could you comment on what user/document metadata, if any, is shared with other companies?

Our oncall engineering team can access user docs via an audited mechanism in the case of an emergency (e.g., a server is crashing due to some wacky doc metadata or a doc is crashing during upgrades).

We use third-party services such as Sumo Logic, Rollbar, etc. (see the privacy policy for the list) to host & aggregate our debug logs, error reports, etc. We’re not sharing metadata with them per se, but the logs and data we need to run the service.

We don’t share any user or doc data with services such as advertising platforms, which is probably the more important point :slight_smile:

5 Likes