Data Hierarchy and Aggregration

@Jack_DePew hey,

Yes, I have actually been using quite a bit the new “blue-dot” lookup hint to quickly get a reference back to the originating table. However, when I do this, this puts in a formula in the destination table, so I can’t add any new records to the mix.

Case in point:

I have a Feature that belongs to a Product

When I connect the Feature to my Product table, I can then go back to the Product table, create a new column with a lookup, and I’m prompted via the blue dot to create a lookup back to the Feature table.

However, when I try to add a new Feature to the Product in this column, I can’t as it’s controlled by a formula and blocked. Ideally I’d like to be able to have this work two ways and able to add new entries both in the “Features” column in the Product table, and in the “Product” column in the “Features” table.

I’d be glad if anybody could shed some light on this actually and whether this is a limitation of this method, in which case we really don’t have true reciprocal functionality here.

I have been using Join Tables, talked about here:

with some success, although it complicates my set up as I have to deal with three tables. However, there is a good deal of data I can get that I’m after, as with this Join Table set up I can create a “subtable” view when viewing in Layout. So for example I can have a contact at a company, when I open that card, I get a subtable showing a list of communications (calls, Emails) and their details, and then link these to the various projects I have ongoing for the Client, getting detail here as well via subtables.

I think that may be not a great explanation so apologies for that, in a bit of a hurry.

Hope that’s at least a bit helpful!

1 Like