Desktop Applications

Hey @Micah_Lucero - just seen your reply here :smile:

Yes, agreed on desktop app benefits.

good points!

Those and other are actually valid, but iā€™m sure you will agree that there are many more important aspect that needs to be covered with more priority!

also, supporting win & mac applications would be a ā€œbigā€ effort for coda, i mean, iā€™d like to have one eh, but i would prioritize other aspects that are more valuable for clients :slight_smile:

Eg two way interfacesā€¦
Granular permissionsā€¦

1 Like

use Edge, Chrome or any Chromium-based browser to create Destop App (Shortcut), some browser like Wavebox allow u to use tabstrip for that destop app windows, really similar to Destop app, but it doesnā€™t work offline

1 Like

Iā€™m LATE to this party, but Iā€™m totally down with this crowd! :hearts:

Iā€™d like to see a Coda desktop as well, but my needs are a bit above what the web app currently offers.

Iā€™m heavy into multimedia (videos, photos, music production), and as I mentioned elsewhere here, I totally consider Coda to be a wonderful rapid application development platform!

Where normally Iā€™d spend weeks to months developing a desktop application (e.g. WPF or MAUI when it matures), I find Iā€™m able to get prototype functionality of what I need using Coda in a shorter days to weeks timeframe!

However what Iā€™m missing is file management on the host operating system - I need to be able to manage the vast amount of photos and videos on my system - renaming, tagging, moving, and at times deleting unwanted dups etc.

Iā€™ve been using programs like ACDSee Ultimate, Kyno (the best but deadware), and others, but most are geared more towards photo management and donā€™t support video as well.

I could easily design exactly what I need if Coda had access to the file system.

I never used, but remember the days of Filemaker Pro (before the web based version) and other RAD programs, where you could quickly develop your custom applications AND access the files on your system etc.

I see Coda as being the similar (and better!), sans the file system accessā€¦

Bespoke web and desktop rapid application development using Coda would be a boon to small businesses and desktop users alike!

For Mac users, Iā€™m actually finding the new macOS Sonoma feature of native web apps to work really well for Coda and is satiating my need for a desktop app from Coda. In some ways I prefer it, because you can turn individual Coda docs into apps, so it actually feels like youā€™ve made an app.

2 Likes

Now Safari on macOS Sonoma supports to run Coda like an app as well. Works fine.

1 Like