Download PDF File - file name is weird! (not the original one)

Hi all!

I have a table where I have upload files. Whenever I want to donwload a file, I click on the file and the preview opens. Automatically, the donwload starts in the background. However, the name of the donwloaded file is a mess - not the original name of the file.

For example, my file named “284-001-a00.01.pdf” turned out to be this when downloaded:

35727575c640f60bc4a4577be1ead800a0ddc7cb7dcf004cee6e8d77aa5e17a1b5d23accb05c87742d3fa5672cc301b016012b7ed0648de1f1eec725b204966b57b37107d9ee0964b5a99f0b71a90017cae22370865f69b825f2f630650f0adb34141f7a(1)

grafik

I’m usind Coda.io for product management, so having the right file name when donwloading the file, is quite essential.

Can anyone help?

2 Likes

I do something similar with legal document citations. My users just click on the uploaded link to see the file with its proper name - usually just to confirm what the citation actually says… They don’t download them to see them. However, we also have documents they may need copies of. Those are maintained in a separate table and can be emailed using a button to the proper person or themselves. Does that help conceptually? PS: this method keeps our compliance people happy.

There are two download buttons for files in Coda when opened

Oddly, one downloads with the correct name and one with what I call “THE CRAZY NAME”

If you download using the button in the top left, it should download with the right name.

Hi!
Thank you for your replies.
We use the table for product management and the table contains several hundred pdf files.

You’re right @Scott_Collier-Weir. It works like that. However, it would be more convenient if the automatic download wouldn’t start OR it would have the right name.
The Doc I created is used by a lot of people and establishing a smooth workflow is essential.

@Doug_Loud Thanks for sharing your workaround! I’ll think about it.
Can you describe in more detail what you mean by “y users just click on the uploaded link to see the file with its proper name - usually just to confirm what the citation actually says… They don’t download them to see them.” Doesn’t the download start automatically anyways?

Maybe coda.io will solve the bug eventually - that would be awesome! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delay getting back to you; I’ve been travelling.

My pdfs are loaded into a cell on a row, and the users click on that file by its title in the cell (for example: BATES123456.pdf). When they click on it, the document is displayed. There is a download button as part of the display for them to use, if they wish to have a downloaded copy, but I don’t think they would bother to download it, since it’s available to them to view there.

Try this link to see what I mean; the pdfs are in the column labeled File: https://coda.io/d/Legal_dx7uHagjT-p/Document-Inventory-View_suCI-#Document-Inventory-View_tuhcR/r5

The idea that your pdfs are automatically downloading is very interesting. I haven’t encountered that.

If you have any questions, please let me know…

signature_823043131

Douglass N. Loud, Esq.

President

Integrated Information Systems, Inc.

305 East 40th Street, Suite 12E

New York, NY 10016

203-952-7108 cell

212-599-1791

dougl7573@gmail.com

This is terribly confusing for the workflow I’m building for my client :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.