Dungeons and Dragons Template

@chris_homburger, @evan informed me that you too are a D and D aficionado, and I wanted to make sure you’ve seen the Dungeon Master Encounter manager template:

https://coda.io/t/Dungeon-Master-Campaign-and-Encounter-Manager_tLT2KNZ77vK

Right now it’s pulling from a D and D Next database, but you could easily add in a different core dataset if you’re on 3rd or 4th edition. I’d love to get your ideas on how to make it even better!

Bool the Level 7 Minotaur Barbarian signing off…:cow::crossed_swords::dragon:

5 Likes

@maria I am kicking myself for not seeing this sooner! I’ve gone through basically every tool to help run encounters and sessions. Currently have just been copy/pasting stat blocks into a document along with notes. Definitely going to use this running my next session, and show it to my fellow DM in the office.

I’m thinking of a player view (permissions yet?), Combat section for displaying health, or hacking together a map of sorts. The worst part of this is that I probably can’t build it at work…

Also, this is going to be MUCH better for keeping track of my own characters’ abilities and spell slots so I don’t have to keep flipping around for the right tab. LIFE SAVER.

-Channing Flynt, half-elf sorcerer :fire: (we have a Wild West campaign)

1 Like

Also from a previous thread from our first puzzle set – health Switch() ftw!

4 Likes

I’m so glad you’re pumped @chris_homburger! It’s always been a pain for our campaigns to manage everything so, of course, it’s the first template I built.

And, since you rolled a 15 on your Persuasion, I can tell you that we’re doing some internal testing of a feature that might help with your player view question - cross document connections. You could have the Player docs feed into your core encounter manager and connect with lookups, etc.

Now, off to Waterdeep to sell these kobold scimitars!

3 Likes

@maria - resurrecting this since I built a combined initiative and health tracker for encounters, complete with a button to roll initiative! I’m working on a way to possibly pre-set encounters elsewhere and be able to flip through them on the same page.

Unfortunately I think I can only track the damage player’s take in each encounter, not across encounters. But hopefully we can trust our players…

2 Likes

I love your “roll initiative for monsters” button! For your encounter flipping, I would recommend having each encounter in a section, and then using a Table of contents type approach.

For tracking player damage, I would have one table with players, damage, armor class, skills, and a dropdown for states (poisoned, etc.). Then, I would make a view of that table in each encounter page. That way it will always be there for you.

What’s the setup on your roll for initiative button by the way?

3 Likes

@maria the initiative button follows this filter: Monster.IsNotBlank() AND Initiative.IsBlank(). Since we’re in a combined table, we only want to roll for monsters, and we only want to roll for monsters which are new to the fight. Then we calculate =floor(Random()*100 % 20 + 1), which approximates a D20 from the first two digits of a random number. Random() returns 0 < n < 1, so we have to multiply by 100 in order to use mod math. We add one post-mod because a d20 is 1 ≤ n ≤ 20, and mod20 returns 0 ≤ n ≤ 19. Then we round down because you always round down in 5e. :man_shrugging:

Thinking more about the flip, I suppose I can use the fruit salad strategy (How to get all the unique values from a select list of select from table) to assign each instances of monsters to encounters, which has the benefit of keeping a record of NPCs that fight with players. Each view would filter is_player OR is_in_encounter, you know?

Why is it easier to design the template than it is to write my campaign?!

4 Likes

Wow!! This is so cool!
I’ll definitely check it out and play with it. Thanks for sharing @maria

2 Likes

Have fun playing with it @Luis_Gabriel_Martins!

Just saw @Moriah’s use of random() featured over here and figured I’d post to say it works here and is much cleaner than my modulo math:

Any d20 roll =(random() * 20).roundUp(0)

Also, a friend and I are working on a character sheet, and we’ll share it when ready!

6 Likes

So cool! I’m excited to try all the stuff you guys have posted. Thanks all!

Phen, AKA: Siginburk Brewsilver, Lvl 7 Dwarven War Cleric; AKA: The Fun-geon Master

2 Likes

Hi all,

I thought I would share the D&D doc I have been working on. It is not fully complete, but I thought you might be interested in some of the ideas.

https://coda.io/d/D-D_dysjU-5VIj4

(This is my first time sharing a doc, please let me know if the link hasn’t worked and I will try again!)

Cheers, Rohan :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you @chris_homburger for the random number formulas!

I love that template, @anon86103599! I am definitely going to snag some of your builds to make mine better. :mage::woman_mage:

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on this thread, but I wanted to jump in with an update! My colleague and fellow D&D player, @Dan_Demers , and I are going to do a webinar where we walk through the Coda doc he uses to run our campaigns. We’ll have a starter kit for the session too, but you can get a sneak peek at the doc he just built here - 7 Years of Great Storytelling · Matt Mercer's Tribute

Coda for D&D for the win! :dragon: :dagger: :european_castle: :bow_and_arrow:

And here’s a link to register for our webinar on May the 4th :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you share a template of your roll for initiative button? I can’t get it to work based on your descriptions… Would love to add it to EVERYTHING.