Forms: How to run action / press button upon new entry / submission?

When a table is configured as a form and it has a button column Update ⚡️ and a user submits a new entry via the form control, what is the fastest & most efficient way to get Update ⚡️ to run?

Hi @Johg_Ananda :slight_smile:
I’m using an automation to press that button when a new row is added :slight_smile:
Definitely not sure if it’s fastest or the most efficient way tho…

2 Likes

Are you watching for row changed? That isn’t working for me.

@Johg_Ananda Yes! Here is a screen!

1 Like

It would be nice if there was a separate trigger “When new row is created”, so we dont need to use “workaraound” @Mario suggested.
Also I think that if some of the old rows in your table get changed, whit automation set this way, it will also trigget automation and not just on adding new row?

Hi @Marko_Petrovic :slight_smile:, i agree 100% with this request

and i confirm you that with my workaround you’ll be notified for every row change
Not a big deal for me because it’s a Beta Request table, so i’m not gonna change rows in it, but eventually could become problematic

Way more important things to prioritize in my opinion anyway :sweat_smile: :joy: :grin:

2 Likes

I agree in your use case its ok, but if you had for example Project Task tracker where people constantly change information (statuses, updates, etc.) and you need to be notified when new task (row) is added, you would be forced to make even more complex workarounds :smiley: , and there are many other uses cases where this kind of trigger would be useful (“when new row is created”).
And I don’t think it’s that complicated to add to current triggers, but on the other hand I am not really a software developer so who knows :blush: Lets hope that at some point they add some additional triggers for automations :crossed_fingers: There are quite a few new ones I would like to see :slight_smile:

OK so this solution, if we are going to have it not trigger everytime the row is changed, and only when a new row is added, would require a Results column that the button/action then modifies which disables the button. I was hoping I wouldn’t need to build a whole workaround, but alas it seems necessary - you agree @Marko_Petrovic?

1 Like

I agree totally, for now our only option are workarounds like one you proposed @Johg_Ananda, to ensure button can be “pushed” only once after which is permanently disabled. I guess there are many other paths to achieve similar results but this one looks straightforward :slight_smile:

1 Like