Is it possible to further constrain coda.ValueType.String?

I’d like to define a schema called TwitterUsername and specify that it must be a string whose first character is the “@” symbol. Or I’d like to define a type called format and specify that it’s a string but must be one of five pre-defined values. (surprised I can’t annotate with a Select or Enum coda.ValueHintType?)

These are sort of weird value-type based operations and I am trying to suss out the boundaries of the existing type system as well as plans around it. Anyone messed around with this? :slight_smile:

What I’ve done in the past is usually one of two things:

• make an additional column with a formula that either checks the format or converts it to proper format (or both)
  • Simply apply conditional formatting with a regex formula — it won’t change the value, but at least the user will get immediate visual feedback.

I have wanted to make an automation rule to automatically check/format strings, but it’s too slow. It can be confusing and/or jarring for the user.

You’re talking about the Packs SDK, right? Where exactly are you trying to enforce those formats?

One option is autocomplete + validation, depending on where you’re trying to enforce this:

https://coda.github.io/packs-sdk/guides/advanced/autocomplete/

1 Like

on input data, generally. It’s just a way to guarantee that certain conditions are met for an input to be valid for the formula.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.