Currency column type allows text?

Hi everyone,

I searched for this but didn’t find anything matching my issue, so I thought I’d post here. We just discovered that users are able to add text to a currency type column. It gives the red corner triangle with a note staying “Calculation Error. Cannot convert value to the specified format”, if you hover over it, but it doesn’t prevent anyone from typing text into the field. It does this with all number-type columns.

I don’t recall running into this before, but it’s possible that I’ve just never personally tried to add text to a non-text field before.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone know of a way to actually prevent the entry of non-numerical characters into a currency column (I thought that was the purpose of setting a “number type” of column)?

This can end up being a real problem when we have users who aren’t consistent with data entry.

Thank you!
Mandy

Hi Mandy,

You are 100% correct. Coda does not enforce data typing. You will also find that if you have a text column, and the first entry in that column is numeric, Coda will change the column type to be numeric.

P

@Piet_Strydom - thank you for your quick reply. It’s unfortunate that it doesn’t enforce data types - that doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t suppose there a any way to formulaically force the proper data type?

Some users prefer the flexibility that goes with weak data typing, and Coda made a design decision early on to follow that path.

Probably the best you could do would be to make the cell red using conditional formatting using the IsNumber() formula.

2 Likes

Thank you @Piet_Strydom . I’ll give the conditional formatting a try. It would be great to at least be able to turn enforcement on or off based on needs. I might add that to the suggestion box :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.