Jira Sprints & Coda

Hey all,

I’m exploring if Coda will work for reporting status updates about timelines for delivering different parts of big projects.

How we schedule out our work is by adding Jira stories to future sprints. I noticed the Gantt chart creates it’s timeline based on date fields or date events.

I’m wondering if anyone has found a way in Coda to organize the gantt chart based on sprint vs date. Additionally, if anyone knows a light weight way to update date fields in Jira based on what sprint they’ve been added to that would be very helpful as well.

I’ve been working lately with Coda and JIRA. There are areas where improvements are needed atm.
I have ~ 4K issues in JIRA, and it takes a long time to load them.
I didn’t get to sprints & gantt yet. Right now I just managed to get “Sprint planned end date” out of sprint description (I have to add it manually though).
I also had a big trouble finding out that remaining hours from sub-tasks are added up to the parents, but “original hours” are not. So, I had to create some formulas to identify it properly.

What do you mean by “update date fields in JIRA”?

Thanks Adriano.

Here is what I mean.

Let’s say Sprint 1 ends on 1/14/2020 and Sprint 2 will end on 1/28/2020.

If one of my managers moves a ticket from Sprint 1 to Sprint 2, it would be nice to update Due Date (for example) to be 1/28/2020.

The reason being is that Coda (and a lot of other tools I’m looking at) use something like Due Date and Start date to determine how to build the gantt chart.

I’ve been looking into things like Automation For Jira and Script Runner (but since non active sprints don’t have dates I’m not sure it’s possible. I’m also not that technically savvy so I’m hoping that I missed an easy workaround.

Clear @Jason_Person. Let’s see if I can help you

1. JIRA future sprints do not have an End Date yet set. Therefore, you can use the “sprint goal” field to set the information.
  2. JIRA future sprints have the string “state=FUTURE”
  3. Let’s imagine you set your “sprint goal” description to something like “sprint planned enddate=01/14/2020”

Then you can “extract” the information to another column (that you may call “Due date”), by doing something like this:

= thisRow.Sprint.RegexReplace(“.state=FUTURE,name=.,goal=sprint planned enddate=(\d{2})/(\d{2})/(\d{2})(,startDate.*)”,“$1/$2/$3”)

Please see if that helps.

Thanks, I’ll give this a try.