Launched: Coda 4.0!

Hello @Chris_Herrmann ,

With today’s release, two-way sync tables do not allow adding or removing rows; we do hope to add that functionality in the near future. For the time being, you can continue to use action buttons to add/remove rows.

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

One more question, given the roadmap: will we see the ability to sync views (rather than full tables) and maintain relationships with related records? If not, will there be another method to accommodate this sort of work (syncing a partial, filtered table to another doc for security purposes, while maintaining all the relationships to other synced tables) that will be forthcoming?

I just don’t want to hack my way to a solution only to find that the work to get there might have been avoided if I just waited a week or a month.

Thanks!

Ok, I might be missing something but…

Synced Pages are nice addition, but requirement that you have to have access to source dock kinda limits its functionality drastically at the moment. I guess when we reach step 3 where we don’t need access to source it will become much more useful and I see some use cases where it will land nicely, still inability to reference that table in rest of the doc where its embedded limits its uses cases - but thats what cross-doc should do I guess

Cross doc (probably most painful Coda feature to work with), step in right direction BUT, I didn’t have much time to do some detailed testing and its late over here, nevertheless as far as I saw there is option for instant “pushing” of changes from “synced” doc to source one, but sync from source is still limited by old restrains (manually, daily, hourly)?
I mean that kinda vastly reduces functionality of this feature and also leaves A LOT of space for corrupting and overwriting data and ending up with bad results. I really don’t see how that can work in real world unless you are just using it for backup feature or you force people to constantly manually sync everything before any change which is impossible to actually do in practice :smiley:

I don’t want to sound overly negative, this new updates are definitely step into right direction, but somehow at the moment they feel like they are half way through :slight_smile:
Hopefully with future updates (and I hope those are bee soon :wink: ) those features will get to the level we really need them to be!

1 Like

You can enable automated (fast) pushes back to the source if you’d like. Check out more here: Cross-doc | Coda Help Center under Enable two-way sync for Cross-doc

If I understand your question / case, this should work properly today if you have a filtered table synced in with cell lookup values pointing to a base table you sync in; this is the common case we see.

What doesn’t work today is when you have a table synced in with cell lookup values that you want to point to a filtered table you sync in. Fixing that latter case is on our roadmap, but not slated for immediate work.

To everyone affected by the editors/pages downgrade (@Timothy_Choi @Ariella_Messing @Mitchell_Wells @Christian_Conte1 et al) — there is a way to alleviate the blow.

There is still a way to add pages through Coda API, which will (as far as I know) remain functional for makers. It’s not a full replacement — there’s no way to delete or reorder these pages, and definitely it’s not as convenient as just adding them in the editor. Yet still it’s a valid way. The “add page” button can be implemented as a pack; the doc maker would then make a shared connection for it in their name. There’s plenty of generic Coda API packs already, but I went ahead and created a specialized one with hopefully a better UX and some specific design choices (e.g. only a doc owner can install it, and each installation is limited to only that doc) that’s also more secure than just allowing all API calls on the maker’s account:

:point_right: [Pack] Add Page — As a doc owner, allow editors to add pages after 4.0

Before making it, I ran this by Coda and they were okay with it. To me this is but another proof that this change is not about paywalling but about making a right design change that in the long term will promote better practices. I’ve been around long enough to live through the whole 2.0 Pricing thing, and I can say for sure that the way they handled it really shows that Coda cares and listens.

1 Like

Hey Chris,

I got that, but sync from source to the cross-doc’ed table is still good old hourly/daily? That was my main complaint :smiley: You can instant sync TO the source but sending data FROM the source is still on old “system” which is kinda strange decision :smiley: (I guess it can be useful in some cases, but push sync in both directions would be huge improvement :slight_smile: )

Ah, not yet unfortunately, but we plan to get there.

I’m afraid to say it’s not really two-way sync if one direction is delayed by one hour at least and the other is instant-ish.

So out of the two big announcements: two-way sync in Cross-Doc and Sync Pages , both are currently half-baked moves in the right direction, but definitely not the solutions we were waiting for.

Not wanting to rain on the parade, and you guys have all my support! But I can’t start using either feature, and need to hold out for more complete versions - hopefully before Christmas !

2 Likes

Just finished filming a huge deep dive

Hopefully launching Friday

Also @Nad this isn’t totally true

5 Likes

Also @Nad this isn’t totally true

Great, I can’t wait to see your deep dive tomorrow! (but I hope you don’t mean the solution is to add a ‘refresh synced table’ button :wink: )

Haha it’s not :wink:

Coda will push updates from the source document to the target document (where the cross doc is) on three trigger types:

1. Time bases trigger (hour lowest interval)
  2. Refresh button (as you mentioned, which is just a different UI for a manual sync)
  3. Upon cross doc edit.

When you edit a cell in a cross doc, Coda will first apply those changes back to the source document

Then, Coda will reconcile other changes from the source doc BACK to the cross doc about 5 seconds later

YouTube will explain it more fully

1 Like

You strike a key point here: There move to more clearly delineate maker/editor roles is very sane, but there are a few things that needed to be done before introducing this restriction on Editors.

• Make Doc Makers the only ones able to: write formulas, insert controls and buttons, insert (smart) tables, hide and unhide pages, set up and edit automations

• Make Doc Locking (which was a band-aid solution that we now seem stuck with), available to all doc Makers no matter which pricing tier.

• More controversial but necessary in my opinion: add dumb tables, and allow doc Editors to insert dumb tables inside canvas columns. Hec maybe even allow doc Editors to insert formulas and smart tables inside canvas columns but only be able to use objects created within the canvas in their formulas.

• Let Editors be Content Editors only as mentioned by @Scott_Collier-Weir here, so they can only edit the text of pages that the doc Maker leaves unlocked for them to edit, but can’t remove/add formulas, controls, buttons and automations , even in unlocked pages.

The above will transition us will transition us from the current messy set up to a world where Makers make, Editors edit content, and Viewers view !

I admit that this transition was not possible in the first iteration of pricing tiers , because we didn’t have canvas columns in Coda 2.0. But it’s not too late to fix the mess!

Then, can come cherry on the cake, your proposal: rows as pages. This will be essentially a new, and very cool, view of a table (just like like layout, calendar, timeline) , which is displayed as top-level header page (text editable by Maker), and the table rows as child pages displayed as a layout view.
We can have a self-referencing parent column act similar to the dependency column in Timeline views, so that we can have a full blown hierarchy - similar to what we can achieve now with vanilla pages.

And there you have it, sane and clean wikis with formulaic access to boot.

Only once you have all of this, you can restrict Editors from inserting new pages and no one would complain.

6 Likes

I am very pleased with the new Coda, but is it possible to tone down the aggressiveness of notifying that I used up all my AI credits? The message pops up every time I open a new document.

Let it pop up once, and then that should be enough…
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 09.17.19

4 Likes

Is the iOS app with support this update almost ready? I think it’s a shame you released Coda 4.0 while not having the iOS app ready first. Sync pages simply do not render, at all. I’d love to get an update on this so I can decide if I need to roll back the use of sync pages for now.

Nice ìno graphics from Coda
Coda Roadmap Share a page 4 steps

@shishir Congrats on the release. How does one get access to the Ultimate Coda Handbooks? There’s no link in the blogpost and nothing shows up in Coda search.

1 Like

are you looking for this page: Gallery | explore Coda docs, templates, and Packs - Coda

What plan are you on for $18 / month?

I can’t go into details about the non-profit I work with as it is an Enterprise order, but the other nonprofit I work with (who I was hoping to onboard onto Coda) has very little spare change, and I was hoping to convert the team onto a $15 / month non-profit Team plan.

I am not asking for a free product. I am asking for a basic feature, which has been included in our paid plans up until now, to continue be included. If this means my teams lose out of the cutting edge such as Coda AI, that’s something I’m willing to give up on.

These are good. How come there’s not an Ultimate Coda Handbook for marketing and design? TBH, I’m just looking for the marketing handbook, so a link would be awesome.