Launched: Coda 4.0!

To everyone affected by the editors/pages downgrade (@Timothy_Choi @Ariella_Messing @Mitchell_Wells @Christian_Conte1 et al) — there is a way to alleviate the blow.

There is still a way to add pages through Coda API, which will (as far as I know) remain functional for makers. It’s not a full replacement — there’s no way to delete or reorder these pages, and definitely it’s not as convenient as just adding them in the editor. Yet still it’s a valid way. The “add page” button can be implemented as a pack; the doc maker would then make a shared connection for it in their name. There’s plenty of generic Coda API packs already, but I went ahead and created a specialized one with hopefully a better UX and some specific design choices (e.g. only a doc owner can install it, and each installation is limited to only that doc) that’s also more secure than just allowing all API calls on the maker’s account:

:point_right: [Pack] Add Page — As a doc owner, allow editors to add pages after 4.0

Before making it, I ran this by Coda and they were okay with it. To me this is but another proof that this change is not about paywalling but about making a right design change that in the long term will promote better practices. I’ve been around long enough to live through the whole 2.0 Pricing thing, and I can say for sure that the way they handled it really shows that Coda cares and listens.

1 Like