Coda 4.0 Pricing Updates: Supercharging Doc Makers

Hi, I’m Khanh, and I lead product for monetization and platform here at Coda. Today we announced Coda 4.0—the true all-in-one platform for businesses, now with AI. Alongside this, we’re announcing a few pricing changes.

Here’s a summary of what’s changing

• Coda AI is free for Doc Makers. Unlike many other products who choose to up-charge for AI, we’ve decided to include it in Doc Maker pricing.
  • Personal use is free. We’re removing doc size limits on the Free plan for personal docs that aren’t shared with others, so you can start your Coda journey with unlimited rows and objects—for free.
  • Only Doc Makers can add and manage pages. As Coda pages have evolved over time to become just as powerful and flexible as docs, you’ll now need to be a Doc Maker to add and manage pages.

What’s not changing

• You only pay for Doc Makers, Editors are free. Editors can collaborate and edit content in existing docs and pages for free, including adding tables and views, writing formulas, and configuring Packs and automations.
  • No changes to the price per Doc Maker. Pro and Team plans are still $10 and $30 per Doc Maker per month (paid annually). As always, contact us if you’d like to explore pricing for Enterprise.

A few details

Coda AI is free for Doc Makers.

As we built Coda AI, started using it ourselves, then watched our beta users make magic with it, we’ve seen amazing impact as teams used the work assistant to perform millions of tasks. Even more, we saw AI’s potential to truly empower everyone, and anyone, as a maker to help you feel informed and plugged in, get your creative juices flowing, turn a spark into safe-space brainstorms, then proposals and tasks, then actually help get those tasks done!

This led to a natural question: How can we continue to empower all makers as we transition from beta to GA?

Many other products have chosen to add a premium add-on for their AI offerings. Customers tell us this is expensive and complicated. Not only do they have to juggle AI surcharges across dozens of products, they have to decide user-by-user who needs access to “Microsoft Word with AI” versus “Microsoft Word without AI.”

Having two versions of each product is not only hard on customers, it’s difficult for us as well. In Coda, we found we wanted to infuse AI into every element of the product, so the add-on approach didn’t make sense to us.

Moreover, Coda’s pricing model gave us a different option. With Maker Billing, teams only pay for Doc Makers, and those Doc Makers are often the ones who use Coda AI most extensively. So, we’ve decided to supercharge the Doc Maker role, and include AI at no additional cost for all paid Doc Makers.

A few things to note:

• Coda AI is now out of beta and generally available for all workspaces.
  • Because our costs scale with AI usage, we knew we would need some threshold to manage extreme usage. But to minimize the number of customers this impacts, we’ve based our usage model on a credit system that scales with the number of Doc Makers in your workspace and resets every month. AI credits are pooled and shared by all Doc Makers in the workspace. Learn more.
  • Editors (and all Free plan users) can also try all of Coda AI’s features for free with limited trial credits. Once their trial credits run out, Editors can still use previously generated AI content, but will need to become a Doc Maker to generate new AI content.

Personal use is free.

While we regularly hear customers rave that Maker Billing is great value for teams, it isn’t as much of an advantage for individual users without a team.

We considered introducing a distinct Personal plan, but ultimately decided to go all-in on a simpler approach—removing doc size limits on the Free plan for all personal docs. We’re excited about how this will allow more makers to use Coda for free in their personal lives and allow people to fully build out their docs to evaluate whether Coda could fit their team’s needs.

A few things to note:

• Existing personal docs that were locked due to doc size limits will now automatically unlock.
  • You can still share docs for free. Shared docs will have the same limits that they do today, and even once shared docs exceed limits, you will have 14 days to trial the doc with your team before needing to upgrade.
  • Copying templates will no longer trigger upgrade prompts.

Only Doc Makers can add and manage pages.

When we launched Maker Billing in 2019, we started with a straightforward premise: “Charge for makers, not collaborators.” We felt that for teams to adopt Coda, they shouldn’t have friction in the sharing process. We needed a simple line to draw the maker-collaborator boundary, and after a lot of discussion, we decided to define Doc Makers primarily by their ability to create and manage docs, as that was the primary noun of Coda.

In those early versions of Coda, pages were a minor feature—they felt like flat tabs in a spreadsheet. Since then, pages have evolved to become just as powerful and flexible as docs, first with subpages and infinite nesting, more recently with new layouts, full-page embeds that bring in thousands of other apps, and now sync pages and two-way sync.

And with that, the lines between docs and pages have blurred. Docs have evolved to become enduring hubs for teams (sometimes with hundreds of pages), and it’s now just as natural for makers to start a new page as it is to start a fresh doc. It became confusing. Why draw the line at docs?

So we set out to realign our Doc Maker definition to the original intent of Maker Billing: “Charge for makers, not collaborators.” We considered a range of options, all the way to “you must be a Doc Maker to edit schema.” In the end, it was important for us to preserve the collaborative feel of the product, so we landed on a smaller change: moving the line from docs to pages, so you must be a Doc Maker to add and manage pages.

For the vast majority of teams, this results in a small impact (<5% of current Editors needing Doc Maker access). And we’ve been excited by early feedback from customers and community members that this change helps our billing model evolve with the product in the right way.

A few things to note:

• Workspace members will need Doc Maker access to create and manage docs, pages, and folders in the workspace. This includes actions like adding, deleting, hiding, or renaming pages, and configuring doc and page locking. See a full comparison of Doc Maker vs. Editor roles here.
  • Changes are effective today for new customers, and effective November 6th for existing customers.
  • All workspace admins with existing subscriptions will receive an email today with more details, including how to prepare for this update for your workspace.

Alright, that’s the long and short of it! Have questions for us? Please leave us a note here, or reach out to our team at support@coda.io.

20 Likes

Huge dislike. End of.

I don’t care about Coda AI. I only care about Editors being able to add/delete pages for free. I will trade Coda AI for free editor page management any time of the day.

My editors do not need advanced AI, they need to make pages.

18 Likes

This is a total nightmare, we’ve only just started to adopt Coda but bundling in adding pages and managing them to the Doc Maker licence isn’t sustainable in costs or the system of data we’re trying to manage.

15 Likes

Not the biggest fan. However, did I miss Two-way sync???

I’ve created a simple template called ‘Blank Pages’ that includes… well, blank pages.

Non doc-makers still won’t be able to rename them, but if you have a section dedicated to just blanks, it’s easy for them to essentially ‘make’ new pages and drag them where they should be.

My most daring template to date.

6 Likes

Two-way sync, along with a host of other exciting new changes, was just announced with Coda 4.0!

1 Like

You’re saying a non-maker cannot add pages but can drag in a template to make pages? Hmm, need to test.

I just expressed my excitement and thoughts on the 4.0 updates here:

On the “adding pages now becomes only for makers” — actually let me test something very quickly. If anything, and knowing Coda since 2019, I don’t believe this update is because of greed or something. Coda have been anything but greedy. I think this is actually a shift-of-paradigm kind of update.

8 Likes

Even with these changes, the value Coda offers is unreal, so I also don’t see this as Coda being greedy!

I don’t think non-doc-makers can import templates, but the idea would be the Doc-Maker just makes a bunch of blank pages beforehand, that way the pages are already created without a non-maker needing a license.

2 Likes

I understand some of the frustration around creating pages, but as @Paul_Danyliuk mentioned this is a paradigm shift and it just requires a different structure of docs in certain specific scenarios like a Wiki.

More thoughts about it here:

2 Likes

I love all the new Coda updates! This is amazing for all of us! It’s been about the time.

Also, this one as powerful one: “Other companies charge for AI features, but we’re making it FREE for doc makers!”

I love it :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Yea I see the Beta feature on a sync table, this is going to make life much easier for some tasks.

It’s a way to make more money without charging for AI let’s be honest.

2 Likes

I don’t see it as a paradigm shift, I see it as paygating a basic feature.

There is nothing in Coda 4.0 that makes me think Docs like this are going to fall apart because of a “paradigm shift”:

Your paradigm shift argument also does not consider a key feature: Locking pages.

Look, I know maintaining software as big as Coda is expensive. I don’t need AI. I don’t even want AI that much. Can I just get my editors page adding for free please?

6 Likes

I have similar sentiments. Coda – above all other platforms – has created an envelope of trust concerning pricing and it’s unwavering support of personas that represent Makers, Editors, and information consumers.

Pricing is a complex world; ask the pricing architects at Denny’s. New menu items often toss a wrench into the gears and re-dialing the model often takes time.

5 Likes

I can see how the changes to page creation makes sense. Docs themselves are almost arbitrary distinctions given new features and how much can be packed into one doc. This change feels inevitable and I want coda to make the money it needs to sustain/grow.

However, this change (which takes effect immediately it sounds like?) may have a major in terms of its impact on our staff. It may be that our stats reflect yours (5% users actually create pages?) but we don’t know that yet. So we’re scrambling a bit here.

Anyway, more head’s up would have been appreciated so we could warn people that a whole feature they might be using is just going to stop working any second. And perhaps some way of admins checking which users create pages?

EDIT: I see that changes don’t take effect until November (missed that part of the post). That’s much better!

5 Likes

For current customers it starts november 6th

2 Likes

I’ve worked with and on Coda since late 2017, been a power-user for longer than many of the staff, and make my living entirely on Coda. I have some thoughts :point_down:

tldr; Rock on Coda. These changes are in the right direction and refelect Codas deep connection with their community and customers.

Coda AI is free for Doc Makers:

Amazing. Incredible. Love it.

Notion AI is $10 extra a person while Airtable AI (lagging behind in actually launching) will also cost an additional amount on top of a normal bill.

Personal use is free

Students, Small buisness owners and more rejoice! I have so many people ask me about the free plan and how to get more out of coda. People are going to love this

Only Doc Makers can add and manage pages

I think more people are going to be upset about this, but I actually think Coda is still far more generous than any other no-code or productivity tool out there.

Codas pricing model has always struck me as odd generally to be honest- mainly due to the language of “editor” as a user group. The word “editor” is generally understood as someone who works with or is involved with modifying an already existing structure.

The editor of a book/article is someone who clearly comes in after the text, narrative, and body of work itself is written.

Editors in Coda are far more than editors. Editors in Coda have always been architects. Editors have always had the ability to configure documents, build net-new tables, write formulas, and more.

Without knowing anything about Coda, I would assume that Editors can merely interact with exisiting elements on a page (like adding rows to a table, pressing buttons, viewing data, editing rows, editing canvas content, etc). Essentially, I would assume that editors are indeed EDITORS.

But Coda still maintains the idea of an editor as an architect. Yes, no net-new pages can be added, but any pages that are existing can be architected. New tables made, relationships established, formulas written, buttons configured, automations set, etc.

In my mind editors are still far more than editors. And editors are still free!

No changes to pricing

Also, just awesome.

9 Likes

How would the free tier help Non-profits? You cannot share or have Editors or am I missing something?

It does not, unless you like sharing credentials (which is unfortunately common practice among non-profits)

I’m not really excited about the pricing for AI; 3000 per month seems quite limited. I had this use case where I imported a table of 250 products from Shopify, and wanted to use Coda to generate product titles, descriptions, bullet points, etc. As you can see, the AI credits will be used up quickly since generating data for 250 products across various columns would already consume at least 1000 credits (and that’s assuming everything is perfect and we don’t have to regenerate any data, which I doubt). Additionally, it would be great to have the option to purchase AI credits on a one-time basis for situations where we might need more credits, without incurring a monthly doc maker charge.

3 Likes