Launched: Frozen columns

Some things you just wish would stay put: Your house keys. A puppy while you take a photo. And columns as you scroll through a wide table.

I can’t help with the first two, but I’m excited to share that we’re finally able to deliver on one of your most requested features: frozen columns!

Starting today, you can freeze up to three of your left-most columns to retain helpful context as you scroll through your table data. Here’s how:

1. Click any column header to open the column menu
  2. Scroll down to “Freeze” (currently under the “Summarize” option) and hover over it
  3. From the menu that pops out, choose how many columns you would like to freeze

PRD-21012-Frozen Columns

You can also find this setting in the Table Options menu, under ‘Table Display.’

This is just one of many ways we’re working to give you more flexibility and control over how you see and interact with your information in Coda throughout the end of the year. Stay tuned for more exciting updates from our team.

71 Likes

Great, it’s a really useful feature for bigger tables! Funny though that the table name also slides away with the columns… :thinking:

11 Likes

This… IS SO AWESOME! I come from the land of spreadsheets (really ginormous spreadsheets) so I truly appreciate this new feature. Thank you and I :orange_heart: Coda!

6 Likes

Yaaayyyyy :tada: :partying_face: :raised_hands: :clap: !!!

@EvanBrooks (and all the team) :raised_hands: , I can’t absolutely not thank you enough for this awesome add-on but here it goes :

Thank you so so so so very much :bouquet: :raised_hands: :partying_face: !!!

Really …

8 Likes

Yeaah! This will make bigger tables much better to understand.

6 Likes

Well received!!
Keep up the good work.

3 Likes

Game changer for us all. Thanks, team Coda!
As much as we try to keep tables simple, sometimes there’s just a lot of data we need to show…

9 Likes

Amazing! Thank you. This is going to make it so much easier to use tables!

3 Likes

Amazing thank you sooo much for this, super helpful feature update! :grinning:

3 Likes

This has instantly eliminated tedious friction from some core workflows. Thank you! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

The Coda team was reading my mind? Just yesterday I was thinking about how a frozen column would be incredible useful for my big tables and…. Tadaaaaa! :tada:!

You are the best!

4 Likes

thankss a lot for this!!!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Really neat and helpful feature :clap:t2: :clap:t2: And - as there is always more to wish for - may I ask for a frozen row height too? Sometime rows grow enormously tall (despite the “wrap text” option - hard returns enlarge the height anyway) and it would be really helpful to freeze the row height, either in number of lines, or inches / cms. Thank you for considering!

3 Likes

Dear @EvanBrooks,

Great improvement in the users experience :100:

Next addition I should like to see implemented is the option to load only the X first rows, getting the option to load the next X rows end going on or load all rows.

This will make the experience less overwhelmed, especially for the bigger table that do not contain any filter /hidden columns.

The way I see it for the moment is to make a distinct condition, to get only this option when no filters are applied

Keep up with the development of the user experience and logical improvements :building_construction::gear::brain:

3 Likes

Hey there

In the above video, the color highlights that have been applied over the “amazing team roles” are manual or is there a way to automatically assign a new highlight color to every unique value in a column? If not, how do i exactly do the same kind of highlighting in my column. The one in the video looks pretty cool but when i try to do it, it only highlights the text and does not bring that stadium shaped highlighting.

Hi! The way to do it is to transform this list in a table and edit the appearance in the text and also the background color on each row.

You gonna have something like this:

To have something like this:

@EvanBrooks Great addition to the already great list of features.

Question, is there any reason as to why you can only freeze up to 3 columns?

For big screen with very large tables it would be great to have more than 3.

You could also use conditional formatting (so long as it’s a single-select), although that will give a slightly different appearance.

Thanks for the feedback! We know there are some cases where freezing more columns would be helpful, but setting a limit also helps ensure a usable experience across scenarios when collaborators using the doc may have a narrower window. It also reduces the likelihood of bugs from cases where many columns are frozen.

We’d love feedback to understand how you find yourself wanting more than 3, and how many you’d want. Feel free to share a screenshot!

3 Likes