Launched: Trigger automations with webhooks

@Kelsey_Chan so does the automation and its webhook only apply to the table on the page where it’s created? And you can then further filter what triggers it?

One word: AWESOME! …

4 Likes

Hi Kelsey,

Can you help me on your OKR/Kanban Table application?

My associates and the owner of the CODA app are based in Germany. I’m based in Ohio near Cleveland. On the plus side, my friends and associates in Germany enter data in English, but when I select a Kanban Table column to sort alphabetically, or right click the column, the instructions are in German. Is there a way to make these ‘right click’ boxes read in English? Or, an easy way to sort the column alphabetically? Please advise.

Thank you in advance,

Tom Fuerst | US Business Development Manager | Industrial Solutions

31296 Bishop’s Gate Circle | Westlake, Ohio 44145

Northrop Grumman LITEF GmBH

Lörracher Strasse 18

79115 Freiburg | Germany

M: +1.440.502.7535 | extern.fuerst.thomas@litef.de

cid:image002.jpg@01D64489.3E70B370

I think it can be limited through indirection. The automation is where the business logic would be applied. Trigger fires → automation runs → automation determines what happens.

No way! I’m really starting to believe you guys have got access to my christmas wishlist.

7 Likes

This is great! I was just needing this today and poof!

3 Likes

@Dropify

The webhook endpoint URLs will be different, so you’ll need to make sure any third party services are contacting the correct endpoint and using the proper authentication. Here’s the overall structure

https://coda.io/apis/v1/docs/{docId}/hooks/automation/{ruleId}

For example, if your original doc with doc id 1EZ-10ugpv has an automation with automation rule id grid-auto-Hjq2i_lzTy, the webhook endpoint URL will be

https://coda.io/apis/v1/docs/1EZ-10ugpv/hooks/automation/grid-auto-Hjq2i_lzTy

If you make a copy of the doc, and the copy has doc id 2pm-10ugpv, the webhook endpoint URL for the copied rule will be

https://coda.io/apis/v1/docs/2pm-10ugpv/hooks/automation/grid-auto-Hjq2i_lzTy

and will require an API token with write access to the copied doc using Bearer Authentication.

4 Likes

@Bill_French can you give me an example please?

When I’ve used webhooks elsewhere (ie, clickup, Integromat, zapier), I was able to trigger the webhook via action, not trigger the webhook then apply actions/filters, so just want to be sure I’m doing it right.

Thanks.

I think I finally got it. So coda isn’t pushing out a webhook, it’s receiving one to trigger an automation.

Still super helpful but not what I need immediately, which is to trigger a coda webhook in Integromat.

Thanks all.

2 Likes

Awesome news. It’s exactly what I needed for my upcoming pack. Thank you.

@Karina_Mikhli you can use this back below for that. (Make = Integromat)

2 Likes

@Breno_Nunes Oh. That’s amazing and will try it out right away. Thank you!

@Karina_Mikhli : Pretty sure you can do that already. Hopefully this might help? Integromat is definitely a fav of mine.

Edit: Just saw @Breno_Nunes’ post - that’s a much better solution than mine. :flushed:

Fantastic news!
Is the webhook instant or is there also that 1-2-5-minute delay?

2 Likes

In my test (triggering a button column with a webhook) it was instant!

2 Likes

Ha ha - yes, the polarity is often a point of confusion. This is why I tend to describe webhooks with an added predicate; inbound and outbound. Coda has enabled inbound webhooks - i.e., a webhook listener. Outbound webhooks are achieved through packs - either custom or pre-made (Like Make’s).

2 Likes

Depending on a few factors (e.g. how many other API requests your doc is processing), there may be a delay from when the endpoint receives the POST request and when the automation is run.

Yes, that predicate makes a lot of sense and helps with the confusion. Thank you :slight_smile:

This is massive! Very excited to explore the possibilities here. Was hoping for webhook functionality in Packs, but this lets you execute Pack formulas with a hook so should take care of the use cases I was imagining.

3 Likes

I have a feature request related to this:

Please allow passing the API token as a query param in the webhook URL
(e.g. https://coda.io/apis/v1/docs/xxxxxxxxxx/hooks/automation/grid-auto-yyyyyyyyyy?key=MY_API_TOKEN)

Reason: many (if not most) 3rd party tools that can trigger webhooks only let you set up the URL but not any custom headers. So there’s currently no way to e.g. integrate a Telegram Bot with Coda because there’s no way I can instruct Telegram to pass an Authentication: Bearer <token> header in its webhook trigger.

I understand this is potentially a security issue (exposing the token through URL) but if the token is generated specifically for a hook and is restricted to it, this shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Alternatively allow accepting anonymous triggers with no auth tokens and let us manually filter through requests in the “IF” step.

3 Likes

Hi, @Paul_Danyliuk! Thanks for the feature request. We’re aware of the limitations of this current model. We went with this approach because it was the easiest way to leverage our existing API infrastructure to make v1 of this feature work.

In the meantime, if you require unauthenticated webhook endpoints, we recommend using Zapier webhooks as an intermediary between your service and the Coda webhook. I know it’s not ideal, so we’ll still keep your feature request in mind.

1 Like