Looking for tips on how to level up my Coda skills

What tips can you provide for a Coda newbie to level up thier Coda skills?

I love the platform and have built some tables already. I also frequent the community discussions.

What other tips, tricks, books, videos etc have been useful to you in your Coda journey?

Figured others may find this useful as well, especially with leveling up on thier skills.

Much appreciated!

1 Like

Coda works on relational principles so having a foundational knowledge of working with relational data is very useful. You don’t need to know about any particular database like SQL Server or Oracle, just relational theory. When I first learned, the bible was “An Introduction to Database Systems” by C.J. Date.

After that, download and play with the examples you find all over the forums. The ability to easily share “code” is one of Coda’s biggest strengths. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m honestly thinking of starting a blog about all things Coda, tips and tricks (and also advertising my consulting / doc building services :slight_smile: )

9 Likes

Hi @Mina_O,

Let’s say from the moment that you are able to interact with 3 to 5 tables, get the structure right and abstract the info you need by “views” / “filters” / “get the info on the canvas” you have the basic skills to create your own doc as an app!

This community, the templates and build in examples are a rich resource of know how.
Good explanation of formulas you will find in this post, and hopeful we will receive soon more

• When trying to get up a higher level and go to more complex use cases, it becomes a must to take pen and paper, write down the structure and don’t forget to create junction tables to get added values from the relation between two tables for example to make calculations.

• Airtable guide , especially the “advanced tips and tricks”, is giving me often the right inspiration. In big lines the way of working is the same, but don’t expect to copy past!

• Start from the end and go back; envision the expected result, “what do I need to get there”? Then write down or draw the steps to be taken. The result is what counts! Later on you can try to combine the steps.

• Last but not least, this community is great, thanks to the active members and Codans, on most of the questions is found a creative solution and the formulas are visible. ALWAYS REMIND TO TRY TO CREATE A DUMMY DOC AND EXPLAIN YOUR EXPECTED RESULT. This will provide the right foundation to receive the support you need. And we all can learn :brain:

You are not alone, but beyond everything “CODA” gives the oppertunity to become more creative and encourages you to find different paths.

4 Likes

@Nick_Milner @Paul_Danyliuk @Jean_Pierre_Traets Thanks for your inputs. This is gold!

@Nick_Milner I’ve played a ton with relational databases but yeah definitely can’t hurt to read up on it as well.

@Paul_Danyliuk No time is better than now for your blog. I see a lot of growth with Coda! be sure to let us know when you do.

@Jean_Pierre_Traets Airtable is another favorite of mine. Thanks for all suggestions and I’m sure newbies will find it all very helpful!

:facepunch:t5: :pray:t5: :woman_technologist:t5:

3 Likes

let us know when you do.

Will do. I already registered a domain, codatricks.com (nothing there yet), will start putting out materials as soon as I finish with my current other stuff. Firstly I want to write a post about some best practices how to approach Coda and organize your docs. Actually, the Coda team did a very great write-up on that in their recent post about :point_right: formula performance.

The best way to learn Coda for me was looking at the template gallery. I remember how confused I was the first time I saw Coda (it was Product Hunt Makers Festival), and how quickly up to speed I got when I saw what was possible and how, due to the templates.

2 Likes

Yeah, templates and the Learn session was also how I started.

1 Like

Learn sessions are good @Dalmo_Mendonca . I’m also a big fan of the deeper dive coda youtube videos and would love to see more of those.