New: Easily embed anything in your docs!

Hey everyone!

Earlier this week, we turned on the ability for you to easily embed external content into your doc!

All you need to do is to select the Embed option under the + menu, paste a link to your content, and hit enter!

We also added some suggestions of things you can embed, including files, maps, audio, video, forms and more.

Did you know? If you embed a Typeform or Google Form, you can send the submissions to Coda automatically via Zapier. Learn More.

You’ll even get a nice card with a thumbnail and description for almost any link.

Once you’ve created the embed, just hit the edit button if you want to change the URL or size.

Note: If you’re sharing a file from a service like Google Drive or Figma, you’ll need to make sure the link is publicly shared for this to work.

If your link doesn’t work for some reason, you can also try using the Embed() formula and set the Force parameter to true. Learn more.

Let us know what you think! :blush:

Josiah Krutz

15 Likes

Need help with GoogleDrive file, embedded into Coda

Nice upgrade! - Any plans about implementing iFrames?

0 Likes

Thanks @Dirk_Degen ! you can embed iframes in Coda using the Embed() formula and setting the force property to true.

0 Likes

Excellent upgrade - thanks!

1 Like

Sounds awesome :clap:

Is there a way to embed a map that will include coordinates from a table in coda?

Table with coordinates that is displayed on an embeded map…

1 Like

Great News and much appreciated!
However, manual iframe embeds are failing miserably (for example):

<iframe width="1249" height="702" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E87msHaVT9c?list=PL5CkYDC-CKp7JPpZ4a00td0YutnhcXTcc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please FIX this! (otherwise excellent work!) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Elad the way to do that would be using packs rather than embeds. We are currently working on a Google maps pack, which should solve this problem when it’s launched.

Meanwhile, here’s a workaround. Let’s say you have a table with a column called Place, where you put in the location you want to map. It definitely works with strings (like the city name or the full address) but don’t know if it will work with coordinates. Then you can have a second column in the table with the following formula:
=Embed(Concatenate("https://www.google.com/maps/search/",Place.encodeForURL()))

Let me know if that works for you using coordinates as well. You can try to search for coordinates on Google Maps to figure out the URL schema

0 Likes

Thanks! Could you share more about why you are trying to use this path rather than just using the YouTube URL? Would love to understand the use case so we can provide a workaround or prioritize this appropriately.

0 Likes

This is great.

Questions:

• is there a shortcut to embed quickly? In my opinion, there should be shortcuts for every controls and options in the + button. UX usability would be even better.
  • is there an embed column type? This would be great in order to add for example a tweet to follow in my social media manager.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks @tomavatars ! Embed as a column format is definitely something on our list and we hope to get to it soon. Meanwhile you can already achieve that by using two columns where one is the URL and the second has a column formula of the form =Embed(urlColumn).

As for using keyboard shortcuts, I completely agree that would be amazing to have. Of course it’s not unique to embeds so we would love to look at it holistically. However for embeds specifically, you can also create an embed without leaving the keyboard by typing =Embed('<URL>') and autocomplete should save you some keystrokes too. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks @Angad
I’m already using the formula both on the canvas and tables.
Two thoughts:

• Using on canvas needs five operations : typing =, typing the formula, typing double quotes, pasting and typing enter. With a shortcut it would reduce this by two operations. Embed formula is actually faster than the + option (because using screen position is a slow operation etc…). I was thinking that the next step for embeds would be the speed of the process. My game designer, an UX police :laughing: is the first one to criticise this behavior. Speed and simplicity are keys.

• Concerning the columns, using two columns for one purpose, especially this one, is threatening UX as well, because loss of space and readability.

I believe you know all of these :slight_smile:
Just a reminder to focus on UX for power users.
Thanks!

0 Likes

Sure @Angad,
I threw up the YouTube iFrame example because it was quick and easy to demonstrate. But here is another, my team publishes shared MindManager mind maps that also have ‘Embed’ links that use iFrames.

I’ve created an example publicly shared mind map for you to view and test (below):

<iframe width="100%" height="100%" src="https://share.mindmanager.com/#publish/iP24jw26I6G8ZD2_RQaIjv-y6W5bFsAJ-6JzIBz4"></iframe>

This above example also fails miserably when using the new manual embed option in Coda. There are literally thousands of similar use cases with other online services that provide iFrame embeds - and currently none of them will work in Coda. Hopefully you can correct this issue soon!

Is this example helpful to you?

0 Likes

Hey @jtbrown3, as I mentioned above, in order to be able to use iFrame embeds, you’ll need to use the Embed() formula with the force property set to true. As you might be aware, iFrames are less secure so we wanted to make it a bit harder to use them so that people only use them if they know what they are doing and trust the website. The new embed experience intentionally left out this functionality, but it tells you that you can still get to it using the formula.

I was able to embed the link you shared quite easily, just using the Embed formula instead, with the force property set to true. Here’s the formula I used:
=Embed("https://share.mindmanager.com/#publish/iP24jw26I6G8ZD2_RQaIjv-y6W5bFsAJ-6JzIBz4", force: true)

Here’s what that looks like:

Please let me know how that works for you.

1 Like

Yup completely agree with you on both counts. The embed column format is already in our queue and I’ve passed on your feedback regarding keyboard shortcuts to the team as well. Thank you!

1 Like

Great, I’ll check it out.

Anither question - is there a way to get a form response from wordpress to coda as a row per response?

The basic functionality is sending the responso via email.

You have any idea?

10x

0 Likes

Thanks @Angad !
The embed formula as you gracefully illustrated works perfectly!
It does require one to strip out the <iframe syntax and just use the SRC url.

This method does NOT appear to work with the YouTube <iframe example i sent you, however. The use case for this is being able to customize the parameters like “allowfullscreen” & others.

Glad to know there is a partial workaround on this - but I would still vote for the native embed code/iframe support (and display any necessary security warnings if need be).

Thanks for your timely wisdom here!

0 Likes

This is awesome as always. Just wondering if there’s a potential in the future to allow drag and drop. So you’d take a PDF from your desktop and drag it onto the canvas, where it automatically uploads it to your google drive, saving a step or two.

3 Likes

Hey Elad, I would look into using Zapier to do something like this. I know that works with Typeform and Google Forms but don’t know much about Wordpress. Here are two links I found, does either of these help?

0 Likes

@jtbrown3 You’re right that we don’t support using the iFrame command. If you paste in the iFrame code, Coda will strip out the URL automatically, and then you just need to add the force property into the formula. I will pass on your request for native iframe codes to the team.

1 Like

the formula didn’t work for me…

0 Likes