Sort / Grouping actions in buttons?

Instead of creating views, is it possible to have buttons to refresh the table with predefined sorting and grouping?

I’ve tried the Action

sort([Table 1],true,Color)

but that returned a “Unexpected error when executing action”

And I didn’t find a grouping action…

Any help would be appreciated.

Not possible easily - curious to know why creating views dont work?

Creating views would work. However, it would save screen real estate. Also, I am assuming that multiple views take up more memory and possible performance issues.

This is not a deal breaker in any means. It was more of a nice to have.

1 Like

@Kurt_Kessler I played around with the idea, and here’s my solution:

It’s not buttons (that would be a slightly different approach involving a separate tiny table instead of dropdown controls — nothing hard though), but if I assume your requirement correctly, this should also work fine :slight_smile:

With the help of Coda support, I have been able to do this…but it’s complicated and hard to explain to others. In my case, I have three groups (Groups are found on the right when you click “Options”); two groups on the left, one on top. The leftmost group is where the sorting is done, and the second left group is the display column. The top group in my case filters out the latest entry for each item in the display column based on a timestamp. Like I said, it’s complicated, but it actually works very well. I use it all day and it saves me a lot of time every day.

I will try to post a sample document that illustrates how it works if there’s interest.

2 Likes

Dear @Gregg_Stebben,

Thanks reporting back this achievement.
Of course it will be great if you could share a sample to learn how to implement. :star: :star: :star:

1 Like

Hi…

I’m sorry the delay in posting this, I wanted to make a new document with dummy values to share for privacy reasons and that took a little time. Also, I don’t know the best way to share it here in the community.

Does just pasting a link work?

My goal was to be able see the latest entry for each Symbol, but also to be able to at a glance see the last five entries for each Symbol (all entries are timestamped). This configuration enables me to do that. TBH, being able to view data this way has changed my life.

What makes it all work are the formulas for the columns “Latest Note” and “Last Five Notes” and grouping by “Last Five Notes” on top…and all the credit for those formulas goes to @Kyleigh_Johnson at Coda. Thank you, Kyleigh! And tons of thanks for all the early help from @Piet_Strydom and @Pch.

One additional hack: For my uses to sort by Symbol, I group on the left by a copy of the Symbol column. This enables me to arrow down from Symbol to Symbol to Symbol which you cannot do if the Symbol column is used for a group on the left. And if anyone is interested, I have automated the process of arrowing down from Symbol to Symbol to Symbol using my voice, and I find that makes it easier for me to focus on the data instead of hitting keys.

I hope this is helpful, and of course I am happy to answer any questions.

Gregg

1 Like

I just realized I didn’t actually answer @Kurt_Kessler 's question about buttons…I am going to go back and add some buttons to show how I do this.

Okay, the buttons are possible…but as I said in my first post, the whole thing is complicated. I can’t remember how I made the buttons sort, but I will keep trying. Even looking at the original document where the buttons sort is not helping me right now. Once you group things, the ability to sort gets wonky, but there is a workaround. I just have to remember what it is. ;-(

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.