Very Basic Coda Question that is confounding me

Hi Coda Community,

I have a question that is probably basic to a lot of you but is really beguiling me for some reason.

I am trying to collect feedback data on a bunch of questions from stakeholders of my organization. I want to group the data by several factors.

1. The type of question asked (i.e. what area of the organization was being asked about). I wanna show the average response regarding that question, and the type of question it was. e.g. I wanna know the average response to that specific question and the average response to all questions of that type.
  2. I wanna show average by stakeholder group. I wanna know how that question averaged (and differed) between the Board, Staff, External Stakeholders, etc.

So right now I have a table with the following columns: Question, Question Category, [Casper’s Response], [Geoff’s Response], [Sadia’s Response], and so on.
Then each row is e.g. Question: Is our brand rad enough?, Category: General, Casper’s Response: 5, Geoff’s Response: 3, Sadia’s Response: 4.

But now I want to add data to each of those columns about that person - the group they’re from. Casper and Geoff are from the Board, whereas Sadia is a staff.

How do I do this? I can’t add a row because the leftmost column are questions, and it’ll look like the rows below are also questions, even though they are other types of data. On some tables I’m going to want to filter out the questions when they’re not relevant, and leave just the categories of stakeholder.

I can’t get my head around this! I feel like I am misunderstanding a fundamental and key part of the Coda methodology by not understanding this. Can anyone help? Thanks for reading! Tim

2 Likes

The trick is to format the column as a “Lookup from table” and create a table of stakeholders with a group column.
Then you can refer to properties of the stakeholder’s column with =Answerer.Group.

3 Likes

I really appreciate your answer here, thank you!

For some reason I am still unable to get a handle on how this works, although the new ‘Learn’ section about schemas is helping. The main thing I want to do is average the answers out by group, so in your example I want everyone who chose “Fighting”'s score to be averaged out. I’ve solved it for now by just loading all the data into one table and then grouping by group, but it limits what i can do with the data. I wanna be able to use the ‘lookup’ function to connect data from columns, but it only lets me lookup by rows. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Yes, that does make sense, and the simplest solution is to use group summaries. For more control, you can also transform and summarize with the Lookup Function (e.g to find the average Bravery of a Knight’s group, =Lookup(Stakeholders, Group, [Answerer's Group]).Bravery.Average().

Group Summary:

Lookup:

3 Likes