What is the Coda pricing going to be?

I’ve been trying to figure out if and what the CODA pricing will be once its out of beta?

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I asked this question to the Coda team a while back.

Their answer then was:

• There will always be a free version.
  • Any paid tiers will be introduced with plenty of notice, especially with beta users in mind.
1 Like

My suggestion for pricing:

Make the personal use free. So that if I have a database, and someone else wants to use it, they can create their own personal Coda account and I can give them access to my database. (The way Dropbox and most other platforms work these days.)

Then if I want to use it for business, to bring employees on board, manage access permissions, have storage for attachments, security policies like two-factor authentication, have audit logs of who accessed what when, then have a paid business tier (with discounts for non profits and educational institutions).

This way, it could spread virally through a company, and once it gets to the point where the company realizes that there’s a lot of sensitive data and processes on the platform that they don’t have any oversight over, they’d have to sign up for the business tier to get the management functionality, and if the price was reasonable, they’d just go ahead and do it instead of trying to ban it in the workplace.

Right now, this is definitely a platform I can see using, but would like more details about future pricing plans, and the feature roadmap, before making any big decisions.

Best,
Maria

3 Likes

I looked at a whole bunch of competitors prior to Coda, some of which had a terrible UI and some which had a very appealing UI - but the pricing is a real inhibitor.
Large companies with big budgets tend to go for solutions from bigger names, but very small firms, such as at the one I am working for, are not tech savvy, and are operating from a world of spreadsheets, not databases.
Something like Coda is a step up from spreadsheets - a far smarter way or working with lists / interrelated tables, but something as ‘low’ as $10 dollars per month for a team of 10 people stacks up at $1200 per year - which is a really hard sell in a small company. I think you have to remember that lots of small businesses can be a little scared of change - so they are already reluctant to move away from their spreadsheet system, so a perceived high price can completely put them off making the transition.

I think the right way to approach it is to get clients onboard cheaply - offering the first year for a very modest price, then be transparent about the likely costs for years 2 and 3. Once they’ve used your product and come to see the benefits, then the extra cost is not as feared. The transparency for the next 2-3 years is important though, as small businesses will have a fear of extortionate price hikes after the first year.

4 Likes

I agree Maria !, and I would like to add : for this personal free version all the main functions have to be included, I mean Automation- rules - , formulas and APIs .
May be some limitations about the number of occurrences of the mention features , I mean , just up to 5 Rules … just up to 1000 API calls by month .
I am working with a number of SaaS solutions, and most of them fails - my opinion - on tempting the user to test the features over the trial period, in most cases of 15 days and this very short for everyone. :sweat:

Glad to see you here Maria!