Why would you NOT try to manage all a Tech Start-Up's stuff in Coda?

Eager to get back in here as so much interesting being said! Real education for me…

First, @Johg_Ananda and @Bill_French - you both have answered the question of this post - I’m going to say Scaleability is a reason a team would NOT use Coda! I am not using the API yet, but I do want to. I have CRM-level clients that I wanted to bring into Coda with the API. I was previously bringing them into Salesforce, which if all goes well I’ll be dropping when the license ends. Was not aware of the API limits, nor the poor way this seems to be handled by otherwise stellar Coda Support. But a 3k limit in a doc - that is a serious limit if you plan to set up Coda as your total CRM and Task/Project Management solution!

I think this goes hand-in-hand with what @Paul_Danyliuk is pointing out re: issues with automations over here:

So, my example of the Y-combinator Batch Company using Coda would come under serious question if Coda is going to be this limited with scaling.

Very eye-opening, and in fact you’ve got me wondering about my own plans with Coda! I also agree that Cross-Doc seems like a way to solve this, by spreading content into other docs, but I have issues here:

• Cross-Doc now weak, only one-way. But I do trust the team to solve this.
  • As I’ve been discussing, mainly here of late:

I have issues with my schema in figuring out how to link stuff to other stuff in Coda. I think it would be solved by reciprocal linking, as I’ve also talked about in the community, but don’t seem to have any insight back as to whether Coda itself is interested in introducing this soon. The method of a table linking to essentially just one other table via lookups is very limiting. I have needs where I need tables to link to many tables, such as Meeting Notes and other decision-type tables I’m counting on to help my team in its roadmapping and goal planning. So I currently have a bunch of stuff in the same tables that really shouldn’t be, in order to limit my tables to get around this. To have to try to figure out how to link several topic areas out of Cross-Doc seems even more challenging than within one doc.

And @Johg_Ananda agreed 100% that Coda is starting to promote itself as a team solution, that is part of why I started this post in the first place!

The solutions you guys put forth are really outstanding, and count me in as one participant in this convo who’d really like to find out more how Coda’s Product Team thinks about all this. I hope they weigh in soon, either here or somewhere that will give us all some reassurance that investing in Coda now as a Team Solution will not run into Scaleability roadblocks in short order! My example of an engineering team moving 50 engineers off Jira into Coda, with today’s existing Coda architecture, seems foolish though, in light of what you guys presented here.

And @Federico_Stefanato and @Ander great to hear from you both - you’ve both helped me before tremendously in the community - Federico I owe you a response on your last answer in fact! All the more this dialogue’s education for me is immense. I respect all 4 of you as serious Makers. I am wavering about investing in my team’s future solution in Coda, and you guys are presenting big-time details of how Coda really works. Invaluable, and thanks again!

4 Likes