Why would you NOT try to manage all a Tech Start-Up's stuff in Coda?

@Edward_Liveikis as much as I love Coda unfortunately I don’t have good answers here. I have been at the tip of the spear hitting the performance limits over the last couple years. As awesome as Codans are, I think they have been substandard when it comes to this topic. They have ignored my post: New API limit - 1,000 rows? Alternative services or workaround

and the user experience for getting thrown off the API is HORRIBLE. Right now there is no way to see the size/health of your doc. Instead they usually wait until Friday night at 7pm after everyone’s done working and then throw you off. So when you come in Monday everything over the weekend has broken and you have a huge mess to clean up. No warning that you are approaching a limit, and no indicator that you’ve broken it … just a bunch of angry colleagues and broken apps that aren’t working.

Worse, their documentation around this is unclear and misleading. This article: Are there any size limitations on docs accessible via the API? | Coda Help Center

is their official policy. This article used to say that each Coda doc could store ‘all of the text of Encyclopedia Brittanica’, which I pointed out to them is literally gigabytes of data or millions of rows. Only after my ‘calling them out’ on this did they change it to the 3,000 row figure, which in my experience is overstated. We are falling off on one of my docs with less than that.

The upside is that sometimes the osbstacle is the path. Having this performance limitation has really made me think about performance, schema and how to set things up for performance, which, after much contemplation over the the last year, has been a good thing. As @Bill_French mentioned, scalability is an issue at every level of scale and as Makers we want to always be thinking about how to build efficiently.

I think Coda gets a D in this area right now. To improve their GPA I suggest:

• A health indicator showing ea Maker the size of their doc
  • A notification in Coda and via email as the doc approaches / hits the limit (its crazy to get the notice from other web services crashing)
  • An increased limit for paying Makers
  • An ability to pay / somehow increase the limit
  • An indication / roadmap from Coda about how and when this is going to increase
9 Likes