Add row #s when grouped?

Hi!
Coda automatically adds row numbers to tables…until you add a group.
Is there anyway to add row numbers using a formula or some other function?
Many thanks!
Gregg

Hello Gregg,

When you group rows, the original row number has no meaning anymore, since grouping also changes the sorting of your rows. There are a lot of ways to give your row a number, like with RowID() or Rank(), they can show after the rows are grouped, but they won’t have much meaning anymore, other than perhaps locating them in the originating table. What are you trying to achieve?

Greetings,
Joost

Hi, Joost…thank you for your reply!
I have a list of items that we sort and group various ways as we process each list…having row numbers would be useful just so you know you’re on row 27 of 100 or if you’re on row 27 and need to move to another place in the list, it’s easy to get back to row 27. So it’s a convenience thing and a visual thing.

I was hoping there might be a way to add a column with row numbers that would be generated dynamically based on the criteria of the current view that would include sorting, filtering and even control values.

Thanks for any ideas or help you might be able to offer!

Hey there @Gregg_Stebben

I think this document is doing what you are looking for. With filtering at least, haven’t tried it out with grouping yet. DOC LINK

Hey @Scott_Collier-Weir …thank you! I look forward to trying this!! I will let you know if I can make it work with groups!!

1 Like

@Gregg_Stebben any chance you got it to work?

No…but I am still messing with it!

Have you tried find(thisrow,thistable)?

This formula does not work with groups