Allow bi-directional parent-child relationships

Note: I asked this as a question for the Community here, but I wanted to also suggest this as a built-in capability.

In Coda, you can have a Lookup column which allows you to reference another row in the table (or in another table). This is great. It means I can add a task to a project or a sub-task to a task. But unless I’m missing something, I can’t go the other direction: I can’t assign a project to a task without going to the project and referencing the task from there—a cumbersome and tedious process. I can, of course, reverse the reference order, but then I just have the opposite problem.

In other words, if you look at the image below, you can see that you can add to a row other rows as its children, and you can display any rows that have added the row in question as its children (making it their parent), but you can’t add parents to a row. To do that, you’d have to find the parent-to-be row and add the row in question as its child. Again, cumbersome and tedious.

Notion allows you to do this right off the bat: When you set up Lookup column (or whatever their version of it is called), you choose whether this is a one-way or a two-way reference. Coda seems to only support one-way references.

Coda should support two-way references.

This is something I’ve wracked my brains on for a long time. I would really like to not have to always choose which will be a more efficient direction: parent or child columns. Notion (a far less sophisticated tool as of this writing, at least where formulas are concerned) lets you have it both ways, and I don’t see why Coda couldn’t.

Thanks for your help!

Hello @David_Knell!
Codans are currently looking into this here:

You can submit your feedback here for them to see.

Cheers!

2 Likes