Attach files/images to cells

We just launched native support for images in cells - see Launched: New Image Column Type is now available

4 Likes

Nigel & Jamie, the images feature is a great step in that direction. I know you guys have a unique design philosophy, but a lot of the people who are moving over from Airtable and/or Notion are going to find this to be a necessity.

Jamie asked for refreshed use cases. I have one that’s holding me back at the moment - I can’t add attachments to tasks. I’m trying to migrate from Wrike to coda because of everything coda does so well. I can embed or link, but it’s really crucial that the attachment be contained within the task for data/trust reasons.

As well, above, someone mentioned a page view, which also basically comes from Notion. You have a basic page view of a row right now and it’s heading that way. I don’t see how coda could do the same thing Notion does, but that’s fine, it’s not the same product. With the ability to attach files in a cell, beyond images, I think you’re basically where you need to be.

If we reverse it from a business rules angle, one of the more obvious recommended templates is tasks. The core elements of all modern task management apps are within coda’s capabilities now. The only one missing is the attachments.

With that said, coda’s a very robust and interesting app. I’m only about a week into it, but it’s closest to something I spec’d out a while back that does 80+% of what I need. Your continued rollouts and work are appreciated - so thanks!

0 Likes

Hi, My 2 cents here to vote this topic:
it is extremely important to replicate what has been done for images also for files (PDF, .docx, .pptx, etc…).

I really would like to format a column to “file” (potentially reagardless of the type, if it’s an image, pdf, word,ppt…the system should recognize it based on the extension) and hence being able to preview/navigate them (pretty much how it happens for images now).

Using “embed” is not sufficient! It is cumbersome and most of the time i’m dealing with local file system/email attachment.

PLUS… and it’s not the least:

a column that is a “Section/page” itself would be the game changer here so I can have a free canvas inside a cell (like Notion does)

When you guys will implement that I’m sure you’ll win the game for the new Makers how your CEO says :slight_smile:

any timelines? :slight_smile:

0 Likes