Changing Filter Order & interaction between "and" and "or"

When filtering a Table(view), is there a way of rearranging the order of the filters I have added? Since I am working with “and” and “or” I need a way of adding a filter to a previously defined group of “or” filters.
Also another question regarding the handling of the “or” operator in this case. Lets imagine I have filters set up like this:
A
and
B
or
C
and
D

will it be interpreted as A and (B or C) and D or as (A and B) or (C and D)?
If the former is the case, is there a way of creating the latter? (workaround would be with formulas I imagine)

Hi @Kevin_Donath,

How it is executed depends on how you present it.

I have created a demo doc here.

The filter I have used is that the Name number must be greater than 1 and less than 3, or greater than 4 and less than 5. This should limit the result to rows of 2 or 5 only.

The filter can be written as:
OR(thisRow.Name>1 AND thisRow.Name<3 , thisRow.Name>4 AND thisRow.Name<6)
Simplified this will be: OR( A AND B, C AND D)

or as:
(thisRow.Name>1 AND thisRow.Name<3) OR (thisRow.Name>4 AND thisRow.Name<6)
Simplified this will be: (A AND B) OR (C AND D)

The bracket locations are important as they dictate where the arguments start and end.
Argument 1 is (thisRow.Name>1 AND thisRow.Name<3)
Argument 2 is (thisRow.Name>4 AND thisRow.Name<6)

In the middle is the OR. So if a row meets all the conditions of Argument 1 OR the conditions of Argument 2 then display it.

I have thrown in some additional more complex examples.

I hope that this makes sense and helps.

Kind regards

Dale

2 Likes

Hi @Dale_Cowling,

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you please grant me editing rights to the doc so I can view the filters you have created?

Hi @Kevin_Donath,

I have published the doc here for you to access and copy.

https://coda.io/@dale-cowling/kevin-donath-changing-filter-order-interaction-between-and-and-o

Kind regards

Dale

Hi @Dale_Cowling,

Thank you very much. I also just discovered the function to transform all the filters into one function.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards
Kevin

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.