[Closed, Launched] Beta: Page History

Update — We’ve closed signups for the beta because we’ve launched — learn more here !

Today we’re announcing an exciting beta opportunity to view the version history for only a particular page and nothing else in the doc. This enhances Coda’s current version history capabilities by allowing you to quickly and more easily understand how a specific page changed over time.

If you would like to beta test page history and share your feedback with us, please fill out the following form on this page.

26 Likes

This is awesome! Tracking changes at the page level, and rolling back to a previous version without resetting progress across the doc is so vital. Excited to beta test this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Is this capability going to be extended to tables?

2 Likes

:wave:t5: @Miguel_de_Rojas and thanks you for the question!

Today, we’ll only highlight the entire table if there was a change, and aren’t as deep yet which specific cell. We’d love to understand examples you have or would like to see for tables?

In addition to highlighting, we have row activity that allows you see the entire history of any row. Learn more about it here.

2 Likes

Ha, I was just looking for this functionality yesterday. This is a super helpful upgrade - thank you!!

1 Like

This is super helpful!

Also - and maybe I’m reading too much into this here -, Is it maybe a sign that the plumbing is being put in place for individual page sharing/permissions ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Ayuba for the response. Great update by the way!

Yeah, I am aware that it exists for rows. However, there is no way to quickly understand what parts of a database have been changed short of sorting it by modified date and digging into each one to see what has been changed.

I was picturing something like a central log that centralizes all the activity from the docs and rows of all the databases.

Sidenote: Would also be useful to see the previous state of a change in the row activity, not only what the new value is.

4 Likes

Glad to hear it’s helpful, @Nad!

To your question, this post outlines are plans for page/sub doc sharing, this shows the most recent update we made in than plan, and finally I talk about how it’s all connected here. :slight_smile:

Please do take a look and keep the feedback coming, thank you!

2 Likes

For me, a page is just a place to insert a table. I can’t give pages metadata (giving tags or assign to a project). I can’t filter pages. I can’t really reuse pages on other places.

This is the reason why I try to avoid pages as far as possible. All my notes and wiki-like functionality is in tables instead of pages. Therefore, it would be nice if I could see the “Activity” you mentioned above in more detail, like seeing highlighted changes compared to previous versions. The “Activity” feature is just too basic to really track changes an easily revert them. Seeing all changes from the whole doc in one place (like in Notion), would also be really helpful.

My biggest concern with Coda is that you aren’t in control with changes made in a doc. With the poor permission system (you seem to be working on, which is great!) and the lack of a proper version history I’m afraid that a doc with multiple users will slip away and will get out of control.

Thank you for the feedback, @Yannik_Catalinac — we hear you on where we can do more to support you and your scenarios. While we’re not completely there yet, I did want to highlight some things we have today to some points you raised below.

A few months ago we released the ability to embed a page from one Coda doc into any one and updated last week to allow you edit those page embeds. This was you can reuse pages of content you’d like you share as a live copy from one doc in as many docs as you’d like.

Last year, we made improvements to support accepting / rejecting changes proposed by people you’re working with in a doc and see highlighted changes over time.

For even more control of your doc, we provide locking to allow you be more restrictive on the kinds of changes people can or can’t make.

We’ll keep sharing updates as we have them and do please keep the feedback coming, thank you!

Thanks for your response!

I know this feature, but I meant something different. For example, if I want to create a table with a filter to show me all pages which are tagged “Project”, I can’t do this in Coda. That’s why I’m using tables where every row represents a page. The main text, which normally would be inside a page, is instead inside a canvas column. The main benefit of this approach is that I can also create multiple other columns, for example:

• “Last edited” so I’m able to filter the table to show me the last edited page.
  • “Tags” to kind of categorize my pages. I can than filter the table to show me all pages with a certain tag. Let’s say I want to find a page, but I don’t know the title of it. Instead of searching through all my pages I can reduce the number of pages by filtering it.
  • “Backlinks”, to show me all pages which are linking to this page.
  • “Abbreviations” etc.

I also can create custom layouts of the “pages” when I open the column in full view.
This is just way more versatile than putting the content inside different pages. That’s the reason why it would be important for me to see the changes of a column in the same way as it would be with a page in your above shown beta version.

The locking mechanism is just too simple, e.g. you still can unhide hidden pages etc. This was discussed a lot in this community and that the locking mechanism is not sufficient is in my perception common sense under the experienced users in this community.

2 Likes

Thank you for the additional details, @Yannik_Catalinac!

This should help a lot! But IMO the version history needs more fundamental improvements. Currently it takes a very long time to go back in history on complicated documents for the following reasons:

1. Scrolling down across many days is very very slow. It seems that a lot of details about the changes are being loaded behind the scenes, even for days that are collapsed. This alone makes searching back (e.g. a couple of months) very tedious.
  2. Automated changes by rules are shown which can result in a lot of noise when looking for breaking changes made by human users.

Given how important it can be to use version history to restore a change that may have been done weeks or months ago before being noticed, it would be great to have the performance of the version history improved to be able to bisect quickly.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see page history - PROPS, Coda!

So far my main application of Coda (at work, not personal), is a Team Task List table.

When looking at my Doc history, I can see the various times my members access the Task List to “update their tasks” etc.

When looking at the individual changes, all I’m seeing is the whole table highlighted in green indicated it was modified.

Tried this today w/the Page History - if I’m changing text on a page etc., I can see the history of those changes (nice) but again w/a table it’s one “big modification”.

If I could see the individual rows modified (highlighted) that would be decent (asking for individual column entries would just be me being greedy :blush: )

I do however appreciate the inroads you’re making with the History functionality - thanks for the continual updates in this area! :+1:

2 Likes

This feature is super helpful for large/complex docs where we only want to rollback changes in one page (usually housing a source database).

A huge plus one to bumping up row level changes in a table. Right now one would have to click into the specific row and see its history.

Here is our scenario: we use Coda to pull together talent data from different systems.

Several databases (tables) talk to each other, with the most important one being the employee database.

Right now, it is really hard to easily be able to summarize/see what edits were made to which employee.

1 Like

Many thanks to everyone who signed up already, the response has been incredible. We’ll be pausing any more beta sign ups to gather feedback and get ready for launching.

For those that are already in the beta, please keep the feedback coming. For everyone else, we’ll be sharing updates as we have them!

Many thanks to those of you that expressed interest, participated in the beta, and shared your feedback. I’m happy to share that page history is now available for everyone.

If more thoughts or feedback arise as you continue to use this new functionality, please let us know.

page history

2 Likes