Column Summary Toggle Option and Default Suggestions

Major first world problem here:
Some data I’ve worked with over the past couple months on Coda may not benefit from a summarized value at the bottom of the column. So in more cases than not, I try to hide the summary row.
In order to do this, I need to click on the summary cell then select “Hide label” then click on the summary cell again to select “None”.

However, that still leaves me with the summary row functional, which I admittedly trip on quite often while navigating a doc.
My suggestion is to have the summary row be made a toggle feature available through the table display window. Kind of like this and perhaps with it defaulted in the off position:

Is this something worth considering or am I just being a big baby?

And on the topic of being a big baby. When we add a People Column, may we have the notification toggle defaulted to “off” as well? It’s a little embarrassing when I flood people’s inbox accidentally when I’m just in the beginning stages of building a new document or making formatting edits.
CleanShot 2019-12-10 at 12.31.51

Lastly, I think I may name my firstborn ‘Coda’ since I freaking love using it. And get tattoos of the logo. For both me and the newborn.

7 Likes

Hi @Asher_Long,

This is great feedback and you’re touching on some items that catch me as well. I’ve got this post linked for our team to check out!

Thank you for using Coda and especially for the feedback!

Ben

2 Likes

You’re the man. Thanks, @BenLee!

I agree completely with @Asher_Long’s suggestion to be able to toggle the summary row off and on. I would also like the summary row in general to get some love: formatting, customizable label, etc. I use it for invoicing and would really like it to stand out!

3 Likes

Good name indeed for a baby!
I broke my Coda mug by the way :sob:

I also agree with @Asher_Long. I hope it won’t be that difficult to implement this feature. If Coda can let us hide Title, Gridlines etc. then the ability to hide summary row would be a reasonable expectation. For me why this is important is because I have so many single row tables in which I put controls (because of various reasons, 1. why isn’t there a control called ‘textbox’ which I can use in a canvas!). In that case I just want to hide everything possible except that single row containing those controls

Hi @Asher_Long if you have a team or greater plan you can set the lock of the section to ‘interact’. This removes the hover state of the column summary and reduces the spacing under the table when none are visible. BTW a byproduct of locking your sections is it helps clean up the UI. For example interact also removes the hover state for sort/filter/format and turning off text editing removes all the text formatting commands at the top of the screen.

@Jaisil_Muttakulath_Joy a textbox control is definitely on our mid term roadmap. Right now we’re focusing on simpler use cases but we hope to come back to more powerful features shortly after.

2 Likes

Hi @Asher_Long! Been a while since the initial post, but wanted to share that we’ve updated the defaults for the people column options to default to OFF. We’ve also made it easier to know when notifications are turned off from directly within the people picker menu.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I appreciate the follow up, Sam. You rock.
I’m glad to see the update!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.