// Comments in formulas

Being able to // comment in formulas, like in normal code editors

6 Likes

Agreed that would be a nice feature. There are some workarounds, as mentioned in this thread:

4 Likes

Would really love support for // comments in code also. Similarly, if a Rule could have a description. This way complicated docs will be easier to understand long in the future by the original author or more importantly, other people.

4 Likes

Hi all, Coda has opened up a survey on feedback about commenting. If you’d like to participate, here’s the topic with the information:

As clarified in the comment section in the survey topic, unfortunatelly this feedback is focused on page commenting, which is a totally different thing from formula commenting.

1 Like

what?

i thought this was for commenting FORMULAS

which is needed URGENTLY

i have no use for comments on pages
we already have a mechanism for that

???

max

6 Likes

I agree. I think the comment section is well developed and they shouldn’t be taking so much attention to that. They should definetly add formula commenting, which is a crucial thing for bigger workflows.

5 Likes

Looks like Coda has an experimental support for /* comment */.

2 Likes

interesting, how did you find out?

1 Like

:kissing: That would be huge news for me.

Unfortunately can’t reproduce it on my end :frowning:
Capture d’écran 2022-12-15 à 11.51.52

Maybe a test not deployed everywhere ?

alas, the OP example did not just fail on the // as indicated by the red markers.
thats probably due to the way the parser works, it didnt understand the /*111111*/ token and it didnt understand the // token either, but it only reports one error, not all the errors in the expression.

so; neither the //xxx// nor the /*xxx*/ are understood as comments

max

:wave: Hi! I’m Arpan, a software engineer at Coda. I’m excited to share that you can now add comments to formulas! By enclosing parts of your formulas with /* and */, that portion will become a comment. To comment out an entire line, prefix the line with //.

Formula comments can help explain what’s going on in your most complicated formulas and can also be used to save prior versions of formulas you’d like to refer back to.

2-21-23 Formula comments_2.gif

16 Likes

OMG FINALLLLLYYYY!!!

Hi Arpan,

thank you for such good news! It’s a pity to find it a bit hidden at the end of a thread — your post should totally be a new post in “News from Coda”, to make sure everyone in the community is aware of it!

2 Likes

Hi @Arpan_Laha, this easily deserves a News From Coda post! Super good.

2 Likes