I’ve got a couple of docs where a custom sort would be extremely valuable.
CRM. I am tracking financial commitments, and I have a stage column (Hard, Soft, Interested, No).
The stage is a different table lookup, and that table has the rows in the order that I described. If I sort my CRM table based on stage, I expect it to be sorted in that order, but instead I get alphabetical order which is thoroughly meaningless in this context.
Project tracking. I have a doc where we track our feature requirements and our progress on those features. In that doc, I have a table for all the feature and a column for how important it is (baseline, MVP, release target, nice to have). Again, I want to sort by that column in the order that I just listed, but it does it in alphabetical order.
Current workarounds are not acceptable:
I could edit each of the entries in the lookup to be like “1. baseline”, “2. MVP”, etc. and then sort, but that creates a lot of extra clutter and extra work. I would have to renumber all of them every time I insert an intermediate stage
I could use group-by and manually rearrange the groups, but group-by is a clunky user experience because it is extremely difficult to add a new group (easiest way seems to be add a new row in one of the existing groups, full-screen/expand that row, then change the value of grouped column from the dropdown, then exit the full-screen/expanded view)