Default Value if Cell is Blank

Right now, you can create a value for a row when it is created.

I often find that there are workflows my users have where they might need to input a custom value, or the value might be inferred from context after the row is created.

For example, if an electrician needs to service a home, the address of the location that they are servicing and the billing address of the customer are often the same. Sometimes, however, the billing address and the service address are different and it needs to be updated.

I’d like to have my column autofill with a formulaic value if the cell hasn’t been manually filled, but I’d still like the user to be able to override it.

The workaround at the moment is three different columns: Override Address, Inferred Address, and Final Address.

The formula that controls Final Address is:

Override Address.IfBlank(Inferred Address)

But this forces my users to know to use the Override Address column when they want to change a value, and often their first inclination is just to click on and change Final Address.

Sometimes, I miss a column type that mixes formula and user input. Not the same as you’re describing, but it could fit your needs. For example:
A cell would show 2 apples left. But when you click it twice to edit it, you’ll see the underlying value is 2.
It’s formula would be something like concatenate(input, " apples left"). As you said, it could be easily done with some extra columns, but the user experience is totally different!

Ooh, I really like that idea too!

But as workaround, I suggest:

• You put a button “Same as billing adress” that would copy values between cells and make it easier for your user to fill the form.
  • If you find it convenient, you can also setup an automation that looks for empty cells and clicks that button from time to time.
1 Like

I like that solution! Much better than the three different columns!