Allow freeform within a formula?

Hey!

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use a allow ‘freeform’ in a cell when a formula is applied?

Basically I’d like to use an IF statement, where the true case always returns a certain value, but the false case leaves the cell as a free canvas.

I’d like to be able to pick any date, except for when a row contains a certain value.

I know I can do a workaround - kindof, by using the new rows function, but I’d like to change it in hindsight aswell!

Hi @Stan_Schalij,

If I correctly understood your question, unfortunately a formula cell remains a formula cell no matter what, therefore you can’t edit its value.

I’m afraid you have to play with your workarounds (as I’m doing, as well :grimacing:)
Cheers

1 Like

Another workaround is to have

• The formula column that calculates the date
  • The manual override column that’s an input
  • The third, “final” column that calculates to =DateOverride.IfBlank(DateCalculated)

You can actually implement it with just two columns (one input and one formula that would use your original formula if the input is blank).

I don’t like this solution though. It promotes bad discipline and non-Coda-but-Excel way of thinking. I found out that this encouraged some team members to implement this mindlessly whenever they felt like they needed to override individual cells in a formula column. Keeping a column an input one and populating it with a “New rows” formula, then updating previous rows with e.g. a button if needed, would be a better approach IMO.

2 Likes