Disable alerts when using button() formula

Is there a way to set alerts to “only for errors” when using button() formula or disable them completely?

Hello @Breno_Nunes!
You can set the alertType parameter to Errors or None

alertType="Errors"
or
alertType="None"

I made a table template to generate buttons easily

9 Likes

Awesome!.
Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

hi @Breno_Nunes , just out of curiosity, why would you use this function if you can have a real (and stable) button at your disposal?
cheers, Christiaan

Hi, @Christiaan_Huizer.
I use button() formula mostly to concatenate buttons. You get much more concise tables and better user experience.
I created a mock table to demonstrate my use case.

4 Likes

that is interesting @Breno_Nunes , merci for sharing. This gives some inspiration!
about a year ago I tested this function, but at that time it was not stable (docs crashed), I guess this is no longer the case, right?

2 Likes

Button()s won’t crash docs anymore — invalid parameters (invalid color, icon etc) will simply be ignored now.

4 Likes

I just updated the mock doc with another use case.
All of that I took from @Paul_Danyliuk posts and showcase :smiley:

3 Likes

I have been using Coda since it was in beta, and it’s only now and thanks to this thread that I understood the usefulness and power of the button() formula! buzzing with ideas on how to improve the interface of many of my docs now!

@Saul_Garcia: Your template looks very handy, but it opens in view only cannot be copied. How can I go about using it ?

3 Likes

As a follow-up: Is there a way to formulaically check whether a given button (in a ‘button’ type column) is disabled ?
A nice addition when ‘concatenating buttons’ in a table would be to skip the ones that are disabled - how awesome would that be!

Of course I could take out the ‘disable if’ formula of the button into its dedicated column and reference that, but that would result is a lot of additional intermediate columns, one for each button that I want to concatenate.

PS: anyone knows what the ‘actionBuilderOptions’ parameter of button() does? any useful tricks we could get out of it?

2 Likes

Hello @Nad! Yes, I had the same reaction when I started using the button() formula! such a game changer! I scoured the community for info on how to use them and decided to make a template out of it.
I added a button to copy the doc :wink:

Regarding to this, it doesn’t seem to be a straight forward way of doing it (apart from creating a checkbox column with a formula).
But! a Dark Wizard already found a way

2 Likes

The Dark Wizard strikes again!
Thanks for the finding Paul’s post which I somehow missed. Indeed, parsing the internal representation just to determine whether the button is disabled seems a little bit overkill for my use case.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.