Displaying year over year data in a chart

I’d like to show monthly data on a line graph and compare it year over year by using the segment tool. My table has two columns: occupancy and date (month & year).

However, when I use the segment tool, it doesn’t overlap the data. I believe because my month format still had a year associated to it, it’s not properly displaying it in this graph. (See below).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi @Garrett_Kroll, in this case the date for each of the segments (Market Average, 2022, and 2023) would have to have the same month and year to show the segments overlapping to see the y/y trend. Notice how in the table below the dates are the same for the first half of 2023:

The view below of the same table is a line chart layout:

Thanks @Al_Chen_Coda!

Is there a way to make the x axis on the graph just say the month and not the year? i.e. “Jan” not “Jan '23”?

In the table this chart is referencing, I changed the date format to just the month, but that didn’t help.

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 7.38.36 PM

Yes instead of making your Date column be a “Date” format, change it to a “Text” format. Then write the months “Jan,” “Feb,” etc. written out in that column. The issue with this approach is that you won’t be able to use your Date column to write formulas involving adding/subtracting days from that date.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.